Wednesday, July 20, 2011

summer treats.



We started talking summer treats around February.
Trying to forecast how desserts would shift. I was thinking meringue tarts, fruit pies, custards.
Then we pondered... ice cream?
I didn't feel like buying an ice cream maker, it was heavy and took up precious space. And our freezer was so packed with take home meals, it just did not seem manageable.

Ottawa has an ice cream queen. By no means is she an ice queen, Pascale is the most genuine and friendly and warm and lovely lady there is. She makes kick ass ice cream and we wanted some to make our own ice cream sandwiches.

Sadly, then, we were faced with reality: laws that regulate dairy in both our provinces are different (Ontario and Quebec) and her ice cream could not cross the border for resale. And she could not use our cream (from La Laiterie de l'Outaouais) to make ice cream for us... So we set out to make our own.

I tried gelatos. Sorbets. Ice creams. No eggs. No dairy. Vegan. Canned fruits, jams, purées... and kept three basic recipes that worked best, and modified, adjusted, tweaked. Tasted. Tasted. Tasted.

I don't have a sweet tooth per se. I am guessing this is a result of working with sweets a lots, the smell of chocolate baking, especially in a warm environment, usually makes me a tad nauseous. I never really crave desserts or sweets. BUT, if you leave me with a container of ice cream, I usually manage to finish it. Or I leave just a tiny bit not to feel too guilty... Throw in a sour note like citrus, rhubarb, or dear, dear coconut, and you've lost me for awhile.

I said I would share a recipe soon and here you are.



Now, this picture is upside down. Sorry.
I am a bit absent minded. And can admit to being somewhat ADD. I laugh about it now. I have to, staff point it out daily. Very organized, but all over the place.
Also, the instructions are, well, Marysol-like.
I usually memorize everything, but since I now have staff, I need to leave notes. This is how it came out. And, to make thing *worse*, we sometimes do not note everything (Katie and I), like some kind of secret club... Us girls have to keep our secrets right?

As a side note, some things Katie and I do truly are secrets. Take for example our Mexican style pulled pork - Katie does the rub, and I do the sauce. I am not quite sure of what she does, and she does not know what is in my sauce. Perfect. Our secret is safe.

I can share a little something about cookies as well...



We changed our cookies a few times. testing if they freeze well. If they are soft enough, not overly sweet. I found that adding honey made them softer, easier to bite into. If you freeze them, it is easier to pat down the ice cream to form the sandwiches.


This is our Orangette, yes, a clin-d'oeil to that beautiful blog. Chocolate cookie, fudge and orange gelato.

I try to make a fresh batch of cookies as often as possible and I assemble the sandwiches in the morning, so that they have less 'boogie time' with the freezer.


Juliette: fresh simmered apricots, pureed, with a sweet swirl of raspberries. The cookie is lemon honey.

If you ever want to attempt the ice cream, and need explanations, leave a comment. I will answer the thread.

6 comments:

Mélodie said...

Ils sont merveilleux, ces sandwichs à la crème glacée!

Comment se passe la vague de chaleur chez Edgar? On ira vous voir bientôt.

urbanite jewelry said...

Read this post at 11pm last night and immediately wanted to come knock on the front window. I literally cannot wait to try them! Good thing we're coming in this Sunday ;)

One of Ottawa's Real Foodies said...

I can vouch for the apricot and raspberry ice cream. Making ice cream at Edgar was a very good decision. :-)

Sandra de Montréal said...

Love your ice creams but I was wondering if you're ever going to post your huevos rancheros recipe...they're delicious and love to sometime try them at home and impress some friends ;o)

Deanna (Silly Goose Farm) said...

Sounds lovely!! I host a barnside movie party at my farm each summer and make ice cream sandwiches to serve. Here is the post from this year's party, if you'd like to see my "sammies!"

http://thesillygoosefarm.blogspot.com/2011/07/barnside-movie-party-league-of-their.html

All the best!

kaitlin said...

thank you for being my inspiration to make ice cream sandwiches this weekend! even if they didn't survive the car ride.

next time, we'll keep them at home and eat them ourselves.

we miss you! (and your food...but also your cheerfulness)

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License