Monday, December 13, 2010

Time Flies



The days just go by so fast.
I get up. cook, cook, open the door, cook some more, lock the door, cook, go home, eat, sleep.

A fellow food lover said: If cooking was my 'job' I think I would never get tired of it.
I can't say my mind is tired of it, but my body is.
I have gained a lot of strength that was lost over the years, my arms are really muscular again. I lost weight and feel, well, like I could knock someone over pretty good. But my hands hurt. One hand goes numb when I sleep... I can't wait for the christmas holidays for some rest.

The past weeks have been even more busy than I thought busy could be.
My friend Isabel had to go out shopping for more food - I went through my weekly estimate in three days... I have to admit that at some point, I was discouraged - I felt that no matter how much food I made, it was never enough.

But this is a good problem right?
And I keep seeing the same faces over and over again, so it warms my heart to think that people find comfort in my food.

My favourite soup this week was celeriac and potato with a rosemary, garlic and chive drizzle. Sadly, I took no pictures! But here are some more...



THE most popular, a cream of wild mushroom (cooked with hazelnuts and sundried tomato, served with homemade crème fraîche)



Roasted tomato + roasted red pepper with kale chips and a rosemary drizzle ... or would you rather a spicy silky carrot soup with a coriander purée?

I also did a minestrone. some squash soups. a hearty mushroom/beef/barley. more cream of wild mushroom. a sweet potato with lots of lemongrass. a beautiful ruby beet soup.

This week was also the start of 'Holiday Food'. I made some tourtières, the meats cooked away in a large cocotte...



We (Loretta, Christal and I) started the cookies for gift boxes. Macadamia&orange, white chocolate&cranberry, chocolate&ginger. I should be rolling out sugar cookies today, making some very naughty cookies with marshmallows (I could eat... too many.)



I made our regular bacon and date brioches, and also made some more festive ones: date, orange, cinnamon and cranberries!



The sandwich of the week: Smoked salmon on 12 grain fennel, cucumber, feta, a lemon/garlic yoghurt, red onion. Who thought people liked smoked salmon so much...



I also had a very odd 'we all want hot chocolate!' Friday. Hot chocolate after hot chocolate after mocha coffee, more hot chocolate...



Our stuffed french toast was also quite popular... I love how two people agreed to the ham + bacon suggestion. Then I made more during the weekend - they called it: double pig.


But the best treats in the world did not come from Edgar, they came from friends.
Tons of sweet treats from Lynne, little chocolate bites with icing that I scarfed down in my car. Tiny Clusters of Goodness (that I just could not stop eating after dinner...) from Eva. And an over the top dinner that made us cry from Rachelle.

Here are a few shots, I regret not taking more... She and her husband read through our blog and noted what they thought would make us most happy. We started with cheese and sparkling wine, then a beautiful tartare, some more tender beef with crisp-to-perfection fries, and a decadent chocolate dessert. We thought we had just stepped into a dream.


7 comments:

thetwistedchef said...

we both know that i'm going to write about how much i heart edgar ... but i'll say it again and again. i heart edgar. and your soups? they fill my belly every single day. and if anyone is wondering - you can take a sandwich to go and then grill it in your george foreman grill and it'll be awesome. even the day after. merci Marysol - your hard work and love is paying off - edgar is a success. and boxed cookies ... sigh. such a brilliant idea.

thisredheaddd said...

do you ever make macarons? i lived in paris for awhile and knew where to go to find the good ones. they are my absolute favorite thing, especially pistachio, and i haven't found a good one anywhere near my home in nc. i'm dying to learn to make them but more than a little intimidated. merci beaucoup.

Eva said...

Reading what was on the menu lately is making me DROOL! I'm out of Edgar bars... guess I'll have to visit you soon! Aw, shucks :)

Marysol said...

Bonjour Rouquine,

I still have not attempted macaroons (the French ones) or anything delicate in my oven. I have only one, it is a big gas Garland with air circulation if needed... Not great for finicky baking. I might try in January February when I have more time - will definitely let you know!

pearls said...

that post just made me soooo hungry... it all looks so delish! wish i could stop by :)

Holly Bruns said...

Hey! Thanks for the kind words on my blog. That meal with Rachelle DOES look amazing. Maybe I'll get to share a bottle with you in the New Year!

Lara said...

Double miam ;)

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License