Monday, December 20, 2010

Counting Down the Days



I don't know if I should admit to this.
Close friends already know.
I am not a fan of Christmas.
But this year, I just can't wait.

One thing that really gets me freaked out are gifts. Gifts that mean nothing. Disposable things.
My heart was warmed by new friends, homemade gifts and thoughtful cards.



Thank you Kaitlin and Andrew! The box. The box. A cutie. These homemade oreo cookies have not yet been attacked. Soon.



Merci Kim et David. Isn't this absolutely extraordinary? They made over a dozen different kinds of cookies! Go see a few here.

And a big thanks to regular 'eaters' of Edgar : A&K for a lovely card (that hangs in front of my face as I bake to remind me that The End Is Near), Mike and Carole for the lovely bottle (that will age gracefully at home) and of course, Lynne, for all the baked goods. I think she has a secret plan to fatten us up.

Speaking of fattening up...



Cookie boxes... Macadamia&Orange, White Chocolate&Cranberry, Chocolate&Ginger, Coconut Macaroons, Snowflake Sugar Cookies, Peanut Buster Clusters (Thanks for the name Christal!!!)

Yup, I made a lot of cookies. On top of the every day ones, here are this week's craziness...



More Sugar cookies. We piled them up pretty.



And here is Christal icing the molasses bears with white chocolate, cranberry and crystallized ginger.




And of course, I made a lot of soups. A few of my favourites:



Pear and Turnip velouté. So silky.



A Caesar Salad as a soup. Lettuce soup, bacon bits, parmesan shavings, fried capers, garlicky croutons.

Simon's favourite this week was a Moroccan inspired bean soup: Lima beans, white beans, pink beans, chick peas in a harissa vegetable stock. It tasted best the following day, so a great soup to make in advance...



I have also made a lot of tourtières... A mix of veal, pork and beef, duck fat, apple cider and yummy smelling spices.

Last but not least, my favourite sandwich, so simple.



Green apples, brie, sprouts, arugula and homemade apple butter on rosemary bread.

AND, a big thank you to Marie-Hélène for helping out this Saturday... She made it all look so easy. A full house, lattés, soups, desserts, sandwiches, cappucinos, the cash register - ALL AT THE SAME TIME. No worries, yup, this is easy. Please quit your day job and come play with me all the time...

6 comments:

kaitlin said...

my dear, enjoy the cookies!


(i believe you said "we'll enjoy the cookies" as we were leaving and i responded with "i will!" i thought you meant the soup...)

few other places have made me as blissed out as edgar. you're doing so much good. so, thank you!

see you in the new year, hopefully on our way out to properly go snow tubing!

Mo Pie, Please said...

Oh my gosh, everything looks utterly delicious! Happy holidays!

Kirsten said...

You're welcome. Maybe one of these days you will let us work for our bacon :)

courtney. said...

such wonderful looking cookies! happy holidays :)

Meats, Roots and Leaves said...

Happy New Year, Marysol. I suspect 2011 is going to be a great year for you.

Victoire said...

yay, so happy to see that cake froster! And oh my goodness, a ceasar salad as soup is a strike of genius and sounds amazing! Still reliving our wonderful Edgar lunch yesterday (and dinner...everything was PERFECT!) xo

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License