Sunday, October 17, 2010

Cranberries



First, you have to forgive me.
I don't even know how I did this.
I erased the pictures of our dinner - our salad was lovely.

I drove up to La Vallée des Canneberges in Venosta today. It is about 30 minutes from my house, and it was a pleasant drive - I had baked goodies from Lynne who dropped in at Edgar, to satisfy her curiosity, and give me a boost of positive energy! Merci Lynne!!!

Today was the harvest. I loved seeing the berries on the conveyor belt, a cascade of red dots... I also had the pleasure of meeting the owner of the cranberry farm (another Lyne, no matter how you spell it, they are sweet!) and will go back for more ... After I finish the 35 lbs that I bought! How long will that take, anyone want to start bets?

We had this salad with fresh fresh fresh fresh fresh salmon from La Boucanerie in Chelsea. Delicious. Crispy. Salmon. Skin. yummmmmmm.


(Cranberries by the crate, yes please!)


Cranberry, apple & walnut salad
(that is the simple version... tonight was candied apple and chili walnuts! You can omit the candied bits, but the texture is a really welcomed addition)


Nice greens (about 5 cups)
1 crisp apple, chopped
1/2 cup cranberries, chopped fine

1 caramelized apple (sauté in buttah until golden and yummy)
1 cup walnuts (halves, but pieces will do as well)
1/4 cup white sugar
1 Tbsp butter
Salt
Chili pepper flakes

1/3 cup oil (I used walnut, but canola would do)
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp maple syrup
1 French shallot, finely chopped
Lots of pepper
Salt

Caramelize your apples. Set aside.
Prepare a sheet of parchment paper for the candied nuts.
In a non-stick skillet, on high heat, add 1/4 cup sugar, let caramelize. Swirl from time to time to catch all the little white sugar bits. When caramel turn medium brown, have your butter ready. Take skillet away from heat, add butter and swirl. Add nuts, chili flakes and caramelized apple pieces. Stir well to coat, drop on parchment paper. Let cool, the caramel will harden. Chop roughly.

Prepare your dressing. Whisk the vinegar and mustard, add the oil. Add the maple syrup, Dijon, shallot and salt + pepper.

Toss all ingredients and serve immediately.

1 comment:

thetwistedchef said...

You're welcome Marysol!!!! I love Edgar! I loved seeing your space and can not wait to get in there and eat your yummy food... speaking of which... I am eating the 2nd of your apple raisin pecan deliciousness... you are AMAZING! and the cranberries look beautiful :0)

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License