Sunday, September 12, 2010

Peaches and Cream



Simon has a little bell in his brain that goes off each September: Peaches and Cream. I am required to do this.

This is based on a recipe passed on to me by an ex-boss.
His grandmother did a pie similar to this with apples. I first did it when I was probably 19 years old, maybe not even one year of desserts under my wings - and I found it so odd that he suggested sour cream as the unctuous base.

I have played around with the recipe over the years. Pears. Peaches. Apples. Almond paste. Almond extract. Small dice. Big slices. Nuts in the crumble topping, dried fruit. This was the first time I tried vanilla bean - and I put a bit too much. (Use what I put in the instructions! I actually did double, and it was a tad over what it usually tastes like with extract)

My heart breaks at the thought of peach season ending.



For the base
(enough for two large pies or 8 mini)

7 peaches, sliced (I left the skin on)
Pie dough (I find the best is a very neutral/basic Tenderflake-style hand made dough. Flaky. Yum. No butter. Not made by a machine.)

1 cup sour cream
1 egg
1 cup sugar
1/4 vanilla pod (seeds)
3 Tbsp flour

For the crumble topping

1/3 cup flour
1/2 cup oats ( I used old fashioned rolled oats, organic, because I have the luxury of an awesone natural food shop close to my house...)
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup sliced natural almonds

Set your oven to 375F. Sliced your peaches and set aside in a large bowl.

Mix together the second set of ingredients and blend in with the peaches. Transfer to prepared pie pans, put in oven for 20 minutes.


(The peaches before going in the oven, if you see this many dots of vanilla, it is too much!)

Meanwhile, prepare the crumble. Mix all of the remaining ingredients with fingers.
Crumble on top of pies that are in oven after the initial 20 minutes of baking. Bake for another 15 minutes or until golden brown.

I enjoy this pie cold. Be patient, try to resist eating it on the spot...

11 comments:

One of Ottawa's Real Foodies said...

Your peaches look so lovely. Were you happy with them? Where did you get them?

Marysol said...

I actually got the peaches at the tiny supermarket near my house, and they were firm, but good!

I saw none at parkdale today, but I bought pears and they smelled divine!!!

One of Ottawa's Real Foodies said...

I so BADLY want to make Peach and Red Pepper Relish but I need to find some decent peaches first.

Breenuh said...

Peaches are one of my favorite dessert ingredients! I seriously can't wait to make these! I hope they're appropriate to make for breakfast, because I don't know if I can hold out till lunch...

The Benny's said...

It looks so good with all the vanilla seeds. Yum! I am having great difficulties finding juicy pears. All I have found so far are dry and hard as rocks.. Thank you Loblaws... :-(

The Benny's said...

Edit: I meant peaches...but I am having the same problems with pears too!

Marysol said...

Miss Benny, I went to Laflamme on Principale, the peaches were good!

Marysol said...

Anne, that compote/relish seems heavenly!!!

Holly Bruns said...

They look beautiful! When I was a kid I always wanted peaches and cream instead of birthday cake, now I have a grown-up alternative.

Eva said...

There is a single peach stand at the Ottawa Farmers Market at Lansdowne on Sundays. I've bought some every week they are there (from July-September or so). I haven't been dissppointed yet! I paid $10 for a basket of 16 gigantic delicious juicy peaches straight from Niagara.

One of Ottawa's Real Foodies said...

Thanks for the peach suggestions,friends. Picked up some Ontario peaches at Produce Depot tonight that aren't too bad. Was unhappy with my recent purchase at Herb and Spice. I suspect I will eat these all before the get turned into relish!

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License