Friday, September 3, 2010

Hits and Misses



I bought beautiful kohlrabi from the lady who sells veggies on the front porch of our neighborhood bakery. I would like to grow some next year.



I did mention before that kohlrabi make great fries...
I simply mixed with sesame oil, panko and salt. In the oven, 375, 15-20 minutes.

Another hit this week was a batter for fish (and chips), no pictures, so sorry. I have been a bit lazy about picturing everything we ate this week. I did a simple club soda batter and added sour cream (Jenna says it is normal because sour cream and buttermilk make everything better) So: 1/2 cup flour, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 heaping Tbsp sour cream, grainy mustard - mixy-mix, add club soda to desired consistency. I also added fresh dill and chives to the batter, delicious!

Last night was a definite hit for me: mac and cheese. I was tired, congested (dang allergies) and somewhat grumpy. The bonus? I made too much, we have an extra in the freezer now.



This week's miss: two loaves of bread I made with my new Cuisinart Food Processor (thank you Air Miles!). A little booklet and cd were included. No bread in sight? Let's make it! Got a brand new kitchen gadget? Let's use it! It rose up beautifully, the texture of the dough was perfect...but it was so dry. It is now cut up into cubes and those will be heavily dressed to make (hopefully yummy) croutons.

3 comments:

Mary said...

Hi Marysol!
You can come over anytime after October 1st for an ice cream sandwich. I'm living out of a suitcase till then. :)
I love kohlrabi too, but I usually eat it raw with sesame oil and salt.

Deborah said...

Ok... I have two of these in the fridge and will try this recipe! How do you peel these little guys? I have no idea what to do with them and I keep getting them from the CSA! :)

marysol said...

Hi Deborah!
I usually just peel away with a knife. Like an apple. It has got a thicker skin than potatoes, maybe more similar to a turnip.

I also like them grated with a bit of mayo and some grainy mustard as a slaw.

Good luck!

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License