Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Creamy Crunchy Delicious Polenta



This was so delicious and satisfying.
The day was cold. We were having ribs for dinner.

Crispy Corn and Aged Cheddar Polenta

3 1/2 cups stock (I used veggie, chicken would be great too)
1 1/4 cups polenta
1/4 cup white wine (optional)
1 vidalia onion, chopped
1 1/2 ears of corn (one just did not seem enough...)
2 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed, chopped
1/4 of a red bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups aged cheddar
Chili flakes, espelette or aleppo pepper
Butter to pan sear and sauté

In a large saucepan, sauté the onions in butter (or oil) until translucent. Add the corn, sauté for a minute more, add garlic, jalapeno and red bell pepper, cook for a minute. Add wine and deglaze pan. Add the polenta and stock, stir to ensure that no lumps form. Take off the heat, taste, check doneness, then add cheese + spices.

Refrigerate for 1 1/2 hours or 2 hours until firm. Cut into squares and pan sear until golden brown and crunchy.

11 comments:

Shine Little Light* said...

I love polenta! Thanks for doing so many vego dishes too! AND thanks for swinging by my blog - it was lovely to have you! *s*

Marysol said...

Your blog is great, so many things to put on a lust list!!!

donkey and the carrot said...

I found you here also!!! Great blog! Great photos!!! Kisses, the DONKEY

Breenuh said...

OMG, I can't wait to try this! My mom loves polenta (and so do i), so she'll be my guinea pig :.P

Jojo said...

OMG - that layer of golden goodness on the outside...wow, I MUST try this soon...great for fall with some braised meats...idea flowing forth...thanks!

Alisa Moore said...

Marysol,
I just don't understand why you don't have thousands of followers. Your photos are gorgeous, your recipes easy to follow and to make. Everything you share is fresh and inspired. I hope your site takes off...you deserve it. Meanwhile, thanks for sharing with your devoted followers. Polenta for dinner tonight!

Marysol said...

* I am now following the donkey.
* Everyone, you need to make this.
* Alisa, I wish!!! I will take 200 followers as I wait for a few thousand... Thanks for the kind words!

About the FNJ said...

Hi Marysol, we're trying to contact you but can't find any info on your blog. If possible, can you send your contact to us at: info@foodnewsjournal.com. Thank-you!

libellule said...

please help! sounds delic but i got a few questions: what is deglaze pan? and did you grate the cheese or throw it in as a chunk?
muchas gracias

Marysol said...

Hi Libellule!

Deglazing is simply adding a liquid to a pan with vegetables or meats that have caramelized. You would usually add alcohol as it needs to evaporate (not to have an alcohol taste) and then add your stock - but you can simply add stock.

I did grate the cheese, it just blends easier that way!

The mad woman behind the blog said...

OMG I can't wait to try this, and will remember you like things SPICY.

YUM!

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License