Monday, August 30, 2010

Cod Cheeks and Chorizo


It has been a chorizo summer for us.
Ever since we discovered William J Walter, a little sausage shop right next to our house, it is hard to resist. I love that I can bike over and leave my beloved old bicyclette right outside. I love that the ladies at the shop recognize me.

I went to the farmers market with my mum yesterday too. I enjoyed seeing familiar faces, farmers, chefs. I loved dumping onions and garlic and potatoes in my fabric bag - no weighing, no scanning beep, no plastic bag.

I love that we eat well at home. I am so thankful to have the energy and drive to cook good meals for my man and I (and whoever drops in...).


On our plate: Fingerling potatoes with arugula, garlic, black olives, capers/grilled miniature bell peppers, spicy chorizo/espelette cod cheeks with a smoky tomato and yellow pepper compote.

Cod cheeks remind me of scallops. Very delicate. I seasoned both sides with salt, pepper and espelette and seared them delicately. Then added a splash of white wine and finished with a good dollop of the smoky tomato-pepper compote.

For the compote. Prepare a smoke pouch for the bbq (Thanks Jenna! You are the bbq queen!) and let it do the magic on your veggies... Do a batch of peppers and tomatoes, the smoky taste is a plus for dips & sauces! Tomatoes you can wrap lightly in foil (so that they don't ooze all over the place) or put in a foil baking tray. I did a nice mix of sauteed onions, tomato, peppers, piment d'alep, paprika.

6 comments:

Mélodie said...

Encore une fois, drôle de coïncidence: je suis allée acheter des chorizos (crues) chez William J. Walter hier :-) Je les adore.

Marysol said...

Hmmm. Vieux vélo pliable brun des années 20 en avant? Ça aurait été drôle!!!

One of Ottawa's Real Foodies said...

I confess. I am in love with William J. Walter. Last night we shared a Bison, an Inferno and a Wild Boar sausage. Our stash is now all gone. I hope it won't be too long before our next outing to Boul. Saint-Joseph. Your dinner looks spectacular. You know it is just tempting drop-ins....

Mélodie said...

Pas de vélo devant. J'étais seule. Mais je garderai l'oeil ouvert!

Oh, Inferno! I haven't dared yet...

Don said...

Your prose, your photos, your delicious food...another great blog post!

Not everyone appreciates how delicate fish cheeks can be. They are literally fought over at Asian dinners when whole fish are served :)

Jojo said...

Wow - looks wonderful as usual Marysol :-)

Where oh where did you get the cod cheeks...I think I have a hankering...

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License