Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Sweet Chili and Szechuan Pepper Shrimp, Avocado & Mango Salad



Everything about this was perfect for how I felt last night.
I played in the garden. We biked to the beach. I was tired. And this meal attacked me with all its bold flavours and crunchiness.



For the shrimp
2 tsp cumin, ground with a mortar & pestle
1 Tbsp red Szechuan pepper, ground with a mortar & pestle
2 Tbsp sweet chili sauce (Nam Plau)
1 bird's eye chili, finely minced
Juice of 1 lime

For the mango avocado salad
1 mango, cubed
1/2 avocado, cubed
3/4 cup chopped cucumber
chopped red onion
Juice of 1/2 lime
Sambal Olek
Canola oil (just a bit)
Cilantro
Mint
Salt and Pepper

For the sprout salad
3 cups sprouts
1 red pepper, sliced
1 green onion, sliced on the bias
Cilantro
black sesame seeds
Juice of 1/2 lime
2 Tbsp sesame oil
1 Tbsp soy sauce

9 comments:

One of Ottawa's Real Foodies said...

Thank you for solving my dinner problem for tomorrow eve. You are good like that!

Marysol said...

well, you know, I like helping out...
Taste and adjust, I am not quite sure about the quantities I put.

MCAnnaD said...

I want to share meals with you!! haha

Victoria @ Hibiscus Bloem said...

Wish I had been there to eat this with you. Your evening sounds wonderful and this salad sounds delicious. One for the weekend me thinks.

The French said...

Sounds amazing!

mapledreams said...

Sounds like a lovely evening and looks like a lovely meal! xx

Meg said...

this looks amazing!! perfect meal for a warm summer night.

Mary said...

This looks fantastic, and just the thing for hot days!

Marysol said...

Anna, how many miles from Alabama?
Come on over any time!

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License