Thursday, June 17, 2010

Summer Tofu Salad



There are a few things I do when my man is not home for dinner...

*I listen to music that he would not like, really loud. Even though we met in a musical context, we don't always have the same tastes.
*I go out for sushi with friends.
*I eat tofu.
*I go out for sushi with friends and eat fried tofu.
*I watch really cheesy sad movies with the friends I ate sushi and tofu with.
wow. endless possibilities with very little variables.

So, tofu.
I fell in love with the thing in high school. I ate silken for dessert. Craved the firm one in sauces.
Then hated it for a few years when other people cooked it. Like burnt toast. Drowned in soy sauce.

There was a chunk of it in the fridge. It had been there for about a week. I often give Simon two options for dinner - of course, tofu never wins. As I biked home I imagined the possibilities with what was in the fridge... I ate two bowls of this.




Tofu Salad

1 block tofu, cubed
2 Tbsp Nam Plau
1 Tbsp curry powder
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp minced ginger
1 bird's eye chili, minced
Salt and pepper

2 handfuls baby tomatoes, halved
2 large handfuls honey peas, sliced on the bias
1 large green onion (in this case purple, local and delicious!)
1 red pepper, cubed
Juice of 1 large lime
2 Tbsp canola oil
1 tsp chili oil
1/4 cup mint
1/2 cup coriander

Mix the first set of ingredients. Cook at 300 on a parchment lined baking sheet (go pump air in your tires, stretch, pull out weeds from the garden, prep your veggies...)

Mix the second set of ingredients. Delicately incorporate the tofu, taste and adjust seasoning.

13 comments:

Mélodie said...

No mango ? :-)
It looks really yummy. Will definitely try it.

Marysol said...

Mango would have been awesome!!!!
I didn't feel like making the detour to chinatown... and then regretting it on the way home.

oh you are getting to know me. We will have to eat mango together this summer.

Vanessa said...

This looks so fresh and yummy! I heart tofu.

Deborah said...

Looks wonderful! How is it that you are so lucky to bike to work and back each day? Doesn't the weather take a toll? Love your posts and photos.

Marysol said...

Oh Deborah, I do have a car. When it rains or when I am in a hurry, my horse is a volkswagen! On sunny days, a folding schwinn bike...

Dawn said...

That is funny as I do the same thing. He's not a big tofu fan.

The French said...

This sounds so delicious and is going on my grocery list! I do love tofu when prepared well. I try to limit how much I eat it though...no more than 2 times a week. This recipe will be one of those two times:)

Mélodie said...

Certainement !

Alisa Moore said...

Yum! I just love your recipes, Marysol! I'm going to make this for a father's day potluck this afternoon.

kirsten said...

hehe...cheesy sad movies. That's what I do when I am without my man.
Looks tasty, can't wait to make it.

simpleblissbycourtney said...

this looks delicious. i'm always looking for interesting ways to use tofu. thanks!

heylookastaple said...

Hi there,
I'm about to make this for a get-together and it looks delicious! I was just wondering if it is a dish that is best served warm or cold. I would probably prefer to do it cold unless you think that would taste really bad

Marysol said...

Hi!

I really prefer this salad cold! You can do the tofu in advance, chill it and mix in the veg right before serving. Enjoy!!

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License