Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Raspberry Rhubarb Pie



We all have memories attached to certain foods, dishes, ingredients.
Strawberry rhubarb pie is one of my favorites. Wait, it IS my favorite.

Of course, when you first meet someone, you prepare something you love and feel comfy with. When I met Chloé, I made strawberry rhubarb pie.

It was a sunny morning. We had decided to eat in the park across the street from her house with her daughter. I brought a huge pie. It was love at first sight - not the pie, but Chloé. You know when you meet someone and you have so much in common that you think the other one is just saying things to make you feel comfortable? That they have to be lying because it can't be the same as you. Well, it was. We loved food. We loved retro/antique stuff. We loved wearing cute dresses. Making heart shaped cakes. Same music. Bold colors. Shoes. And again, food. Making it, eating it.

The first time Chloé came to my apartment (6 years ago Chloé!!! Can you believe it?) she spontaneously asked if she could look through my cupboards, curious to see what I cooked and baked with. I will remember this forever. My pantry is a mess lately... How about yours, could we peek in right now?



Raspberry Rhubarb Pie
(yes, raspberry, I had no strawberries...)
For the filling

4 cups rhubarb
2 pints raspberries
1 cup sugar
zest of one orange
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 Tbsp small tapioca
1 Tbsp flour
Nutmeg
Cinnamon
1/3 cup butter

note to self: buy a pie pan - making pies in springform pans is ridiculous.

15 comments:

kaitlin said...

springform pan pies are still delicious. but yes, get thee a pie pan.

this looks quite lovely. i only wish i had rhubarb coming out in bushels.

The French said...

You most certainly can not look in my cupboard...it's so messy, it's a darn shame:)

Sounds delicious!

Michael said...

This is just a delightful post, for so many reasons. Strawberry Rhubarb is also my favourite pie!

jennifer young said...

my favorite pie!!! just had some today! looks amazing :)
j.

Marysol said...

Rhubarb pie makes the whole world smile.

Mlle French, you know that this will simply make people more curious about your cupboards ;P

Rachelle said...

Strawberry Rhubarb is my favourite too!!

giz said...

Thanks for visiting our blog. Your pie is amazing - I have to admit - rhubarb with anything works for me.

Heather said...

Your photos are always so gorgeous! This one reminds me of the movie "Waitress".

Pickles said...

Rhubarb pie is wonderful and I wish rhubarb were more plentiful at the markets as I have nowhere to plant any. I'm tempted to go knocking on neighbours' doors ;-)

Chloe said...

Ohhh Marysol,
Comme c est gentil.
J me rapelles aussi de ce premier été ou on n s est pas quittée.
T est toujours dans mon coeur.
J ai fait un shortcake rhubarbe et fraise en ton honneur cet après-midi.
bisou
c

Courtney. said...

rhubarb is something i have grown to love over the years. when my grandmother tried to get me to eat strawberry rhubarb pie as a kid, i hated it. but i kept trying it through the years and the other day i was actually craving it. so this just looks delicious.

Marysol said...

I know! I guess it is the sour taste... the only way I ate younger it was with a ton of sugar.

Savannah said...

This pie is beautiful! I can't wait to try this recipe out. The photography is amazing as well! Much enjoyed :)

We'd love it if you shared your photographs and or recipes with us on our online community!
http://www.facebook.com/redpathsugar?ref=ts

Marysol said...

Hi Savannah! Could you send me a personal email with more details? Thanks!! Marysol.foucault@gmail.com

Redpath, I see that logo almost every day!

thetwistedchef said...

I just found this entry. oh how i heart both of you even more. chloé was sharing a story on monday night at oz - and she told it just like you had (you had said something the exact same) - it was hilarious.
you two are amazing. and that pie is pretty darn fan-tastic!

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License