Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Garden Talk - kale, radishes and slugs.



Eating dinner alone can be lonely.
Or, it means that you can eat whatever you want, even if it makes no sense because no one can judge you. And that puts a smile on your face doesn't it?

As I came home, I thought of all that my garden had to offer...and it is only the end of June.
I put some beet greens, swiss chard and trevisio in our sandwiches for lunch.
After work, I puttered around to make sure that slugs were not eating my precious peas and beans. I also checked all my greens for earwigs - they got a massive shampoo yesterday, hopefully they will not come back. My raspberries are so huge and plentiful that they seem imported from a year-round sunny country. (But, sadly, still no sign of my parsnips and turnips from Beckta...)

For dinner, kale chips and gorgeous radishes.
I am so overjoyed to have kale in the garden. I remember Candice saying last year that she had too much: that will not happen with me. We put some in a pasta sauce last night, and I made chips tonight. And I will make chips all summer. (I am not the only one...)

Kale Chips

Kale
Garlic, minced
Canola oil (or olive oil, but I find the taste too strong)
Salt

Mixy-mix. Spread on a parchment lined sheetpan. Bake for about 10 minutes at 400F.

1 comment:

Meg said...

i've never tried kale before! that sounds like a great way to prepare it - i'll have to pick some up at the farmers market this weekend!

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License