Monday, June 21, 2010

Black Olive and Hazelnut Tapenade + Arugula Pesto



There are few things in life that make me as happy as a big feast.
I love having so many options that my hands, like butterflies, flutter from one item to the other.



As evening plans fizzled, Simon took me to the Byward Market. I had not been in so long. Nicastro's here I come!
I don't see the market in the same eye as I used to. I really dislike the displays that use multiple containers to make you feel like you are buying more. I find cheesy the printed plastic signs that they have now. More and more, I get smitten with the farmers, the families. I always go to the same. (Rochon gets a lot of my business!!!) I wish we had booths like Jean-Talon in Montreal - people actually make an effort to make it pretty & they have pride. It makes you want to buy more.

The arugula we bought in Aylmer. We were walking down the main road, and on the porch of our neighborhood bakery was a lady selling bags of beautiful greens & flowers. Beet greens and orange flowers. Assorted greens and nasturtiums. Arugula and simple white flowers... I made a pesto with the arugula and sprinkled the flower petals on our tomatoes. They looked like butterfly wings.



The tapenade was so delicious. I will definitely redo this - hazelnuts were a wonderful addition.

I have to admit that the thing that makes me happiest in life is sharing these meals with my man. He makes me feel beautiful, and talented, and always cheers me up.
(Even when I get pooped on the head by a passing bird)



Black Olive and Hazelnut Tapenade

2 cups olives
1/2 cup hazelnuts
1/3 cup olive oil
1 clove garlic
3 big leaves basil

Arugula Pesto

3 cups arugula (more if storebought... does not taste as much!)
1/2 cup light tasting oil (canola is what I used)
Juice of half a lemon
1/3 cup pine nuts
1 clove garlic
Salt to taste

5 comments:

Nikki said...

Love the presentation! That looks excellent I'll have to try it!

kaitlin said...

Lovely! (Um, also, posting right around lunchtime....seriously? I'm starving!)

It's a pity that my husband hates olives. Or maybe, it just means more for me?

Marysol said...

Definitely more for you!!!!

popcornsnaps said...

i went to the jean-talon market almost every day while on vacation in montreal.... one of the most amazing places in the world!

Rachelle said...

god, you make everything sooooo beautiful!

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License