Thursday, May 20, 2010

Salads and Bicycles



I've started biking to work again, this is my favourite part of the ride home.
When I cross this bridge, I know I am close. I hear water. There is always a lovely fresh breeze.

I love how we start eating light again and how it is gets so easy with summer.
It takes less time to prepare dinner and we can eat in our backyard. Listen to birds. And soon, when the sun sets, the bats will come out. I am totally fascinated by them.

My dinner last night



A mix of avocado, red onion, orange, red pepper, balsamic, orange juice, olive oil.

The night before




Halloumi cheese tossed in flour, grilled in olive oil and finished with a splash of lemon, strawberries, cucumber, red onion, balsamic.

Yesterday's lunch?



Vermicelli noodles with tons of veggies, including my favourite: sweet peas.

...and yesterday's This-Just-Made-Me-Smile-For-15-Minutes moment:



A turtle crossing the cycle path.

14 comments:

Eva said...

I love the brightness of summer food! It makes me all happy inside...

Joanna Goddard said...

these all look so delicious, and your bike ride looks beautiful. we went to Berlin on vacation a couple years ago and fell in love with halumi sandwiches. it's surprisingly hard to find here, but now i want to track it down!

Joanna Goddard said...

ps. i made your chocolate-peanut-butter bars two nights ago and they're AMAZING! thank you!

Heather said...

Great post!! I love halloumi!

kaitlin said...

Your photos are so pretty Marysol! Do you find Haloumi cheese in Gatineau or Ottawa? I've never looked for it...

jacqueline said...

oh goodness, I just saw the french version of your blog, as well. such a wonderful idea! I am in love with the food you post and hope to try as many of your recipes as possible :) I must agree, the summer is such a wonderful time to cook/bake. Happy eating!

Marysol said...

Joanna, I am so happy the squares turned out!!! Aren't they the easiest thing to do?

Marysol said...

Kaitlin, you can buy halloumi at the Mid East Food Centre in Ottawa, it is so inexpensive there.

I also found some in IGA and METRO stores (Hull and Aylmer)under the name Dore-mi. It is a very cute package and sells for about $7.

I am guessing that the cheese shop in the market may have some - the one next to the organic veggie shop. Is it House of Cheese?

The French said...

I wouldn't mind going to work if had a ride like that...and I love halloumi. Especially grilled and on top of a burger! Oops. Now I'm hungry:)

apalershadeofwhite said...

Yum - With the return of the warm weather I've been craving big piles of fresh veggies too.

It looks like the shell on the turtle is cracked :( Was it?

Meg said...

yum, yum and yum! the fact that my husband hates salad is wayyy harder to deal with in the summertime!

Vanessa said...

New reader of your blog, and I love it! :o) I agree, there is something so great about being able to eat a completely fresh meal effortlessly.

marysol said...

Erin, I will definitely try on a burger!!!

marysol said...

...and the little turtle did have a cracked shell... :(

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License