Friday, May 21, 2010

Raspberry and Rhubarb Tart



Can you see me?

Rhubarb is growing and growing in the garden.
Apart from the rhubarb, a few herbs also survived winter, lavender and thyme are particularly thriving.

I have been craving clafouti lately, so I thought that could inspire me for a tart.
As I grabbed some leftover dough from the freezer - because I just can't help making a quadruple batch... see? It comes in handy! - I also saw a bag of raspberries from our yard. It's about time I did something with them!! The plants are getting really big already, they are a beautiful dark shade of green and I can't wait to see little berries appear...

This is our breakfast today. Deliciously tart rhubarb, raspberries, delicately flavoured orange & maple custard.




Raspberry and Rhubarb Tart

about 8-9 stalks rhubarb
1 1/2 cups raspberries
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup sugar
zest of one orange
3 egg yolks
1 egg
3/4 cup cream
1 Tbsp flour

Roast the rhubarb in the oven at 375 for about 15 minutes until soft. I kept the stalks whole as I wanted to use them in a long rectangular tart mold, but you can chop it up. Don't be surprised, it shrinks a lot.

Roll out your pie crust. Sprinkle the raspberries, then layer the roasted rhubarb.

In a bowl, mix the remaining ingredients and pour over the fruit. Cook at 400 for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350 for about 15-20 minutes. The custard will rise and get slowly golden. Remove from heat and let cool before eating.
I love it cold the next morning, but can you resist?

10 comments:

The French said...

I like your idea of breakfast:)

Breenuh said...

Yuuum! This is on my short list of things to make soon!

Oh, and great idea making a quadruple batch of dough and freezing some. I'm going to start doing that :.)

I just discovered your blog the other day, and I adore it! I'm all about eating fresh, homemade meals. Keep on keepin' on!

Asha at beFOODled said...

Ah, I like rhubarb. And I really like your dress!

Marysol said...

Hi Breenuh, thanks for reading!

Asha, you should see the collar of the dress... Very Audrey H. I love wearing it.

Meg said...

yumm! i haven't tried pairing raspberries & rhubarb but sounds delicious!

{lovely little things} said...

I'd surely eat this for breakfast! Sounds delicious and fresh!

Jenny G. said...

Love! I was just thinking about rhubarb the other day...that I haven't had it since childhood. Must go get some to try this out!

Hula Hoop da Loop said...

I'm so jealous!!! i simply love rhubarb, and I can't find it anywhere around here! I live in an apartment so growing my own is sadly not an option, but yours is lovely!

kaitlin said...

Marysol, do you peel the rhubarb before roasting it? Otherwise, what happens to the stringy bits?

I can't wait to try this!

Marysol said...

Kaitlin, I did not take out the 'strings' and it was fine. You could also chop it up - if I had not used a long tart pan, that is what I would have done. I think roasting it makes it soft.

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License