Monday, May 24, 2010

Marinated Flank Steak Tortillas with Guacamole



I love tortillas & tacos. Our trip to Mexico city a few years back was a tad motivated by this as well as corn on a stick (and, of course, the possibility of meeting Esqueleto and watching lucha libre)

Did I ever say that my dream would be to have a taco truck at my wedding, in the middle of a beautiful field... I would sit on a chair, just a wee bit away from my friends, and watch them silently from afar, crunching away on a crispy corn taco, a good enough distance so that they do not see my happy mess.

The tacos we had in Mexico were soft, just like tortillas. Also, they were quite small.
The guacamole was very, very spicy. Like, soooooo spicy, I cried.
It was quite a funny sight: we didn't see women eating at outdoor stands. Being the stubborn girl that I am, I made a beeline for my taco and generously garnished it, not caring what the men thought. One bite only, and the tears ran down my cheeks - it was worse than swallowing a large tablespoon of siracha. I finished it, more than a handful of locals watching. Pride, it makes you do silly things.

Guacamole

2 avocados, mashed
juice of 1 lime
pinch of cumin
pinch of salt
good handful of chopped cilantro
2 cloves garlic, minced

Flank Steak Marinade

1/2 cup oil
juice of 1 lime
1 French shallot, minced
2 Tbsp Chinese cooking wine
1 tsp cumin + 1 Tbsp for cooking
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tbsp Sambal Olek (chili garlic sauce)
1 clove garlic, minced

Leave the beef to marinate overnight, this is a tough cut. Heat to BBQ to very hot and grill the beef for 3 minutes on each side - do not overcook, it will get tough. Sprinkle with cumin as you grill, if desired. Take off heat and rest for 5 minutes before cutting. Slice against the grain, very thin.

Serve with guacamole, salsa, fresh cilantro and a squeeze of lime.

8 comments:

Eva said...

These are a few of my favorite things! Guac and flank... OMG squared.

Marysol said...

i know we have similar tastes... ahora, one day.

Edana said...

Wow, that looks amazing...I wish my boyfriend liked guacamole so I could make these tonight! I guess it'll have to wait until I'm at home with my mom, instead. Thanks for sharing!

http://edanacooks.blogspot.com

Rachelle said...

that story still makes me laugh. you are a tough girl!!

Marysol said...

5 feet & 100lbs of don't-mess-with-me!

The Benny's said...

Great story! Where do you buy your flank steak? (I live in Aylmer as well)

Marysol said...

Really? In Aylmer, wow! Didn't know you were so close!

A-1 has nice meats. The ground beef is amazing (they do it a la minute, just say how much you need) and I am pretty sure that you could order flank, I just don't know if the have it available all the time. (Don't buy their sausage though! Not so good. Walk down the street to William J Walter)


I bought this flank steak in the Glebe (Glebe Meat Market) because I was in the area. The cheapest place to get it is Chinatown, it is usually quite good. I go to 168 on Wellington.

Always take the time to marinate it!

Victoire said...

This looks so delicious!! And I love the idea of a taco truck at a wedding. Ottawa NEEDS a taco truck so badly! Maybe you could do something about it?...

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License