Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Jam Filled Hearts



I have a soft spot for jam filled cookies.
I used to stay in Quebec city for my summer vacation and would walk about 20-25 minutes in the quiet morning to get some at a bakery that I loved. I was a baker longing for a bakery. I walked alone, as the rest of the house slept and felt really peaceful about it, not lonely. On my way back, I ate the cookie(s) slowly, enjoying every bite, watching people around me, the sky, the city.

I made these this morning.
They were crispy, light and everything else I wanted them to be.



Sugar dough

1 1/2 cups flour (or more, your dough should just hold together)
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
3/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract

Mix the flour, salt and sugar together. Incorporate into the butter and alternate with the extracts. Add just enough flour so that your dough holds. Refrigerate for 45 minutes. Roll out to a bit less than 1/4 inch and cut into desired shapes. Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes until slightly golden. Cool. Spread jam on half the cookies and top with the other half. Sprinkle with icing sugar if desired.

5 comments:

kaitlin said...

Mmm. I love these even more as linzer hearts, where you cut out a smaller shape inside for that the jam oozes through:

http://heart-of-light.blogspot.com/2009/02/linzer-hearts.html

Marysol said...

oh i know!!! i just did not have anything for a second opening...or the nuts. Aren't they usually made with ground hazelnuts? I did not see any in the recipe that you sent.

The French said...

The other Tart will love these! She's about to have a baby so maybe I can make her a little gift. These would be so cute in a vintage cookie tin:)

Ellenitza said...

I love your blog and just added you to my blogroll on ellenitza. Stop by when you have a minute.

kaitlin said...

I haven't made them with ground nuts before. In a pinch, I choose my shape and then use a bottle cap to punch out the middle.

I've also tried these with chocolate sugar cookie dough and marshmallow fluff instead of jam.

(Clearly, I need to blog my recipes more often)

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License