Saturday, May 29, 2010

Coconut Petits Gâteaux




I craved coconut.
I don't know about you, but if I get stuck on a food thought, until I finally eat it, I have trouble focusing on anything else. Even if you had given me the best molten chocolate cake, I still would have been dreaming of coconut.

I don't do much baking with coconut - it is pretty much only macaroons.
A friend emailed yesterday and asked for my recipe. Earlier this week, I fell upon a recipe for a coconut and lemon cake, but this afternoon I just could not find it!!! I was getting obsessed with coconut as I tried finding it once again.

And since I did not, I did what I do best: improvised.
I took a basic muffin recipe and added more butter, more eggs and balanced it out with coconut and a bit more flour. Then, for the coconut overload, I did a coconut cream cheese filling. Then, a lovely lemon icing and finished with coconut shavings.

Coconut Petits Gâteaux
(oui, Marie-Camille, des cupcakes! mais il faudrait définir cupcake...)

3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 pinch salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup unsweetened coconut
3/4 yoghurt (10%)

Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl, set aside. Beat the butter and sugar until creamy. Add the eggs one at a time. Alternately add the dry and the wet ingredients.

Filling

3/4 cup cream cheese
1 egg
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup coconut flakes

Mix all ingredients. Fill half the muffin tins with the batter, form a little volcano and put a dollop of the coconut filling. Spoon more of the batter on top and cook at 375 for about 10 minutes.

Icing.

Butter
Cream cheese
Icing sugar
Lemon zest

I usually put a bit more cream cheese than butter. A bit less for the sugar. Taste and adjust, trust yourself!

11 comments:

Don said...

For someone who doesn't do much baking, you made a beautiful cupcake!

Problem with being a food enthusiast who wants to learn everything and anything about food is the cravings. I crave so many crazy different flavours and textures that rarely go together!

Tanith said...

I loooove baking cupcakes and I looove coconut... these cupcakes sound so good! I'm going to try them vegan style :D

jacqueline said...

I only have sweetened coconut on hand...would it be fine to subtract 1/4 cup of sugar in order to make up for the sweetened coconut??? (p.s. these made my weekend! I love coconut.)

Marysol said...

Don, I love that you crave things that don't go together!! I think Pascale (the ice cream girl) plays on that a lot!

Marysol said...

Tanith, could you email me what you did to substitute?

Marysol said...

Jacqueline, that is what I would do. Always taste (unless you are paranoid about raw eggs), it should not be overly sweet. At worst, you add more sugar!

Don't forget the lemon in the icing - I had one for breakfast, it was even better cold and I really appreciated the lemon!!!

nicole said...

J'ai le bedon plein de macarons. C'était tellement bon!!! Je crois que je suis peut-être une convertie au coconut. C'est ta faute!

Marysol said...

Je le savais!!! je viens de t'écrire!

Les cupcakes étaient vraiment bons - mais c'est le mélange citron/nois de coco...

Tanith said...

Yes, I'll definitely email you the dairy replacements when I bake these this later week!

jacqueline said...

Marysol! I make these cupcakes for my friend's bachelorette party, and everybody loved them :) Thank you for such a wonderful recipe!

Marysol said...

Jacqueline, that is amazing!!! It makes me feel good when people say my recipes work. What a relief!!!

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License