Friday, May 7, 2010

Apple and Oka Tarts

I really love Oka cheese.

There is this little breakfast place in Montreal that has a cheese and fruit plate on the menu, I always have it. They give you four generous portions of cheese and beautiful fresh fresh fruit (the restaurant is called fruit folie after all) - this is where my love for Oka really started. I love the rind, the stinky smell, and most of all the combination of it with fruit.


We are guests at a bbq tonight, so I made these little tarts for dessert as I got up this morning. Cuties.


For the filling, a simple mix of apples, butter, maple syrup and tapioca as a thickener.


The crust:


2 1/2 cups all purpose flour

3/4 cup butter

1/4 cup grated oka cheese (or more!!!)

1/4 cup sugar

Grated rind of one orange

pinch of salt

3 egg yolks

1 cup ice water


Cut the butter into the flour, sugar and salt. Add the grated rind and the oka cheese, mix in lightly. Beat the egg yolks with the water, lightly mix into the dough, taking care not to handle too much. You may not need all the water/egg mix, add just as needed.
Serve with extra Oka melted on top, ice cream or whipped cream.


3 comments:

simplyfreshottawa said...

You always make me so hungry!

Asha at beFOODled said...

Wow, I am in love! Cheese and apples are two of my favourite things :) The place in Montreal you mention — what's it called? I would like to go there the next time I visit.

Marysol said...

Asha, the restaurant is called Fruit Folie. Is it on St-Denis (I think near Roy or Des Pins) on a corner. Right next to it is a pasta place (that is sooooo cheap and fast!)

I went about a dozen of times and it has let me down only once. They have great burgers for lunch too.

I usually park on St-Hubert (free and good for 3 hours!)

only bad thing...coffee is so so.

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License