Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Chipotle Chicken Soup... and muffins to start the day.



It seems like I could be the chicken ambassador these days.

I used the breasts of a whole Saveurs des Monts chicken the other night to prepare skewers. I was then left with big thighs and wings - these were cooked and used in this lovely soup. The bones were cooked off and made a very tasty stock.

This chipotle soup could easily be done veggie - I would add some black beans for protein and substitute the chicken stock with veggie stock.




We had walnut & chocolate banana muffins for breakfast. It was raining so hard when I got up this morning, I needed something warm and comforting to start the day...

The Soup!

2 chicken thighs + 2 wings, shredded
1/2 white onion, fine dice
2 chipotle in adobo, seeds removed, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
4 baby carrots, sliced
1 red pepper, cubed
2 ears of corn, or 1 small can (I tried organic canned corn -let's see if I taste the difference!)
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 1/2 litres chicken stock
1/2 lime, juiced
3 small jalapenos, thinly sliced
3 green onion, sliced on the bias
1 bunch cilantro, chopped

Cook the chicken thigh in the oven, remove the meat, shred with your fingers, set aside.
In a small stock pot, cook the onions until translucent, add the shredded chicken. cook for a few minutes more, add the carrot, garlic and the chipotle. cook for about 5 minutes. add the chicken stock and canned tomatoes. stew together for about 30 minutes on low heat, adjust seasoning with water, more stock, or tomato juice. 10 minutes before serving, add the corn and yellow pepper. just before serving, add the lime juice, cilantro, slices of jalapeno and green onion.

Serve with ripe avocado, shredded cheese or sour cream if desired.

3 comments:

Heather said...

that soup sounds delicious! i'm adding it to my "recipes to try" file :)

Marysol said...

good! I just hope you get to it!!! I have a lot of those bookmarks...

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer said...

This looks amazing - I am on a chipotle kick these days so this is a perfect addition to the growing chipotle recipe collection!

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License