Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Wild Mushroom Stuffed Tortellinis



I think I will have a new rule : if you come to my house to eat, you have to learn to make a part of the meal.
My guest last night was so excited at the idea of making pasta from scratch, and she was so happy when she left with her container of goodies - it was wonderful not only to share a meal, but to share the experience.

Isabel, my very best friend from high school, and I eat together quite a bit... I am lucky to have such a trusted friend.
When we met, we were both quite nerdy, went to an all girl school, had very very long hair and shared a passion for aggressive music - the other girls didn't really have an opinion on music (ok, maybe one other or two did...). For us, it was essential though, the center of our teenage universe. Slowly, our group got bigger, but I never spoke about music with any other. No other came to concerts with us. No other was as excited about a new cd coming out. My partner in music and ... science? Frog dissection anyone?

We started our evening with a snack, guacamole. (Recipe at the bottom of the page)



I was quite concerned with Isabel's choice of red nachos, but there were organic, so the color must have been natural (I guess I am not a risk taker for that! Plain color = more healthy. Maybe not!) They were really good and not too salty.

Then we got into the pasta making.
Slowly working in the flour.



Kneading away.



The perfect dough!



Shaping the pasta...



Stuffed with a mix of pleurote, shiitake, king eryngii, and cute little yellow ones... (with parmesan, garlic, shallots and ricotta)




A delicious mix of cream sauce, fresh Shiitake mushroom and wild mushroom stuffed tortellinis!



As we finished our plates, we started talking dessert... We had none. But wait a minute! Egg whites + maple sugar + blow torch?



Meringue topped strawberries. Sweet little ending.

For the guacamole

2 ripe avocadoes, mashed
1 lime
1 tsp cumin, toasted and freshly ground
1 clove garlic, mashed
cilantro, chopped

Mix together all the ingredients. We used only half the lime because it was very juicy.
Cilantro is optional and always a nice addition - but we had none...

Click here for the pasta recipe


For the sauce

3 French shallots, minced
2 Tbsp butter
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup mushroom (we had fresh Shiitake)
1 cup white wine
1 cup cream
1/2 cup parmesan, grated

Saute the shallots in butter on medium-high heat. Add the mushroom, saute for a few minutes, then add the garlic. Cook for one minute more, then add the wine. Let reduce for about 4-5 minutes, then turn the heat down. Add the cream and parmesan.

5 comments:

Isabel said...

It was delicious! And soooo much fun. Can't wait to do more pasta.

Alana said...

Sounds soooooo much fun. Back home my best friend and I would take it in turns to bring ingredients to cook together, she taught me the proper Italian way to do Carbonara, ahhhh delicious memories! Do you have a recommendation for a pasta maker?

Marysol said...

ohhh. I would be no good to recommend one, I actually have the cheapest one available! For $30, it works well enough.

I went to CA Paradis in Ottawa and they recommended the one that is one step up - but two of those have broken at work. Go to Preston hardware in Little Italy, they must have a wide selection and be able to guide you.

mmmmm. carbonara.
It is my favourite, I always order that because I have never done it. I must learn...

Asha said...

I love the foursomes of photos in this post! Are you experimenting with food photography?

Marysol said...

rather than experimenting, I would say I am doing my best! Those picture were taken with my Iphone, I find it takes better pictures in the evening than our regular camera... I need to buy a good camera.

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License