Saturday, March 6, 2010

Tofu Pockets with Peanut Sauce



As requested, the tofu pocket recipe.
These incredibly delicious little bundles of scrumptiousness were inspired by an appetizer that I had at Cafe Asean in New York. I did them for two lovely guests not so long ago, and decided to redo them today for lunch, with a few tweaks...

And these changes made them soooooo much better!
These were quite simple at Cafe Asean, and at that moment, nothing could have satisfied me more.
Today, I wanted fresh herbs, spice.

I started by doing my peanut sauce, letting it warm through as I cut all my veggies, then set them aside. I did not have cucumber, that would have been really nice... I did the tofu pockets last so that they would be warm for me to eat - and instead of using canola oil, I used sesame, major improvement.

Again, if you have a mandolin, use it! It will save you a lot of time.

Tofu Pockets with Peanut Sauce

4 fried tofu squares (a package contains 4, look in the fridges in the Asian stores)
1 carrot, cut into matchstick
1/2 red pepper, thin slices
Small handful of sugar snap peas, thinly sliced
2 handfuls of sprouts
Lime leaf, Thai basil, mint - finely chopped
1 Tbsp canola oil
1 Tbsp light soy sauce
Squeeze of lime

1/2 cup peanut butter
1 Tbsp hoisin sauce
Juice of 1 lime
1 Tbsp sambal
3/4 cup water
Coarsely chopped peanuts

Mix the cut vegetables with the canola oil, soy sauce and lime - this will be the stuffing for your tofu pockets.

Mix all the sauce ingredients in a saucepan. Add more water if needed. Add chopped peanuts into the sauce right before serving.

For the tofu pockets: Make a cavity in the tofu cubes. Fry them on a griddle. That's it! My guess is that there are more ways than one to make pockets... If you feel too lazy, slicing the cube and frying the pieces would work just as well.

3 comments:

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

Okay maybe I will splurge for a nice mandolin... this looks divine.

Marysol said...

I love my mandolin.
I stopped using it for years because I was afraid of slicing off my knuckles again, but I put the fear aside..

They keep them behind the counter in most Asian shops - it is way cheaper and better quality than any that you would buy at upscale kitchen stores or at Home Sense!

Alana said...

Thank you for posting this recipe....I am making some Burmese food this weekend and I think this will also be making it to the table......after I have sampled it first of course!

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License