Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Rustic Lemon Tart




Today, I deeply craved a lemony dessert - the good news is, I can make my own!
My favourite tends to be rustic-style lemon tart, although I love lemon meringue (maybe because I get to use a torch...)

I tend to prefer a sugar dough for this, but you may use a flaky dough recipe. The flaky dough does not need to be prebaked - the sugar dough will. Baking science, don't ask me, that's just the way it is...

This recipe is so simple, can't fail. If you try it and it craps out on you, you need to come over to my house so that I can figure out what you did!




Rustic Lemon Tart

3 lemons, zested, juiced (you will need a touch more than 1/3 cup, I find that is perfect!)
5 eggs
1 cup sugar
200 ml whipping cream

that's it for ingredients. simple eh?

In the bowl of a mixer, beat the eggs on high until fluffy and starting to change in color. Slowly add the sugar until doubled in volume. It will be pale yellow. Turn down the speed to low (not to splatter yourself!) and add the lemon juice + zest. Then add the cream.

Pour into pie shell. Cook in a hot preheated oven (400) for 10 minutes, then turn down the heat to 300 for about 20 minutes. Check on the tart, it should be golden on top and not jiggle in the center.

***
This is usually enough for one deep dish pie. I could not find my deep dish pie shell, I must have left it at someone's house (if you have it, please tell me, ha!ha!). I made a rectangular tart and a round one - the rectangular tart cooked quite faster.

So I guess this is the way to go if you want to offer one as a gift... Teena and Derrick, you like lemon?

13 comments:

noonionplease said...

I adore how you decorated your cake. So simple yet it looks like a cute yellow ladybird :)

eatenword said...

Your tart looks delicious. I love lemony desserts, too, and this one couldn't be simpler! I even have three lemons sitting in my fruit basket right now and a birthday to bake for. Perfect timing.

La Table De Nana said...

I too just love the way you decorated your lemon tart.♥

Marysol said...

noonionplease and table de nana... I am obsessed with polka dots, it's that simple!

I do my top pie crusts that way too!!!

Marysol said...

Dear Eatenword, good luck!! This tart is fabulous with whipped cream, or topped with raspberries. mmmmmm.

Maria said...

I love the polka dots! Too fun!

Asha said...

Beautiful! I love the photography on your site!

Larissa Beznaczuk-Smyrnew said...

Very pretty!

chocolatecup said...

i cant resist clicking lemon recipes on tastespotting or anywhere actually and with such simple ingredients, i am sold! i want to make this asap! like realllll soon:) you really have a very lovely tart!

Katherine said...

This tart looks so delicious! Do you think the filling would be sturdy enough to make a crustless version of this tart?

Marysol said...

Hi Katherine,

I am pretty sure you would be able to do that.

If I were to attempt it, I would definitely use parchment around your baking dish or molds. I know it is pretty solid and can hold fruit + whipped cream on top without losing its shape.

have fun experimenting! Tell me if it works!

Alisa Moore said...

Marisol, This is the first foodie blog I've joined...I absolutely love your photos (how'd you take the one of you riding the bike in your skirt without falling over?? hah) Cannot wait to make your cheesecake, lemon tart, and Halloumi salad, just for starters. Write on....! Alisa (Bainbridge Island, WA).

Marysol said...

Thanks Alisa!!!

That is so great that you want to try all of that out! tell me how it works out...

For the picture - I took my Iphone. I love it! I actually took the picture to prove to my partner that I beat the storm yesterday and sent it along with a text when I got home :)

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License