Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Quinoa Shepherds Pie



Shepherds Pie is King in the Québécois répertoire of recipes.
Every household has their way of doing it. There are books about the origin and all are searching for the authentic recipe. There is also a big mystery about the name we give it in Québec: Pâté Chinois.

I had a Shepherds-Pie-O-Thon in the last few days.
I made some for us at home for the first time this year.
We ate it on Monday night. Had leftovers for lunch on Tuesday.
We were invited to Simon's parents Tuesday night - we ate some there too! AND, for us to laugh about this even more, his dad ate some in a restaurant for lunch.

Some are creamy (the use of creamed corn only, smooth potato mash), some are dry (peas and carrots, no creamed corn, plain potato mash...). Simon's mom sprinkles bacon on top of hers (YUM!!!).

For good conscience, I try to cut down on meat in mine. I do about half quinoa and half lean Angus beef. So that the 'meat' may be a bit more exciting, I let it simmer in chicken stock, it makes a flavourful sauce. I like to have chunks of corn, so I mix it in with the creamed corn -
I said bid adieu to all the summer corn that I had frozen :(

Spring, come quick!!!

Quinoa and Beef Shepherds Pie

1 yellow onion, diced
1 ribs celery, diced
1 lb lean Angus beef
3/4 cup Quinoa
2 cups chicken stock
1 can of creamed corn
1 cup corn kernels
a TON of mashed potatoes (I like to put butter, milk and an egg yolk in mine)

Cook you meat with the onion and celery. Add the chicken stock, simmer for 15 minutes. Add the quinoa, simmer until most of the stock has been absorbed.

Layer the beef, the corn and the potatoes and put in the oven until top of mashed potatoes are crispy and whole pie is warmed through.

Dear Francophone readers, I should have the French version of the blog running this weekend: Steak-Blé-D'Inde-Patates!

2 comments:

marie camille said...

Steak-Blé-D'Inde-Patates
Steak-Blé-D'Inde-Patates
Steak-Blé-D'Inde-Patates!!

munchinwithmunchkin said...

I love Shepherds pie! This looks so yummy! I also always wondered why it is called pate chinois.

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License