Sunday, March 21, 2010

Mini Veggie Corn Dog



I get really excited around fried foods.
We don't eat a lot of it, so it is always a treat. And since I have gone back to kickboxing and started running again, I have no worries - gimme those corn dogs!

These are another test for the Victoire Wild West party, they turned out really nice. As we are doing a 95% vegetarian party, these are veggie dogs - I was am not used to the texture, I found them mushy. I may add a crunchy component to the batter, flaxseed?

If anyone can suggest good veggie dogs, please do so!! Tell me where you get them in Ottawa. The ones I bought at Herb and Spice were in a package of 6 and they were 'chili flavor' (I did not notice as I bought them and thank goodness, because regular ones must have been bland!)

Corn Dog Batter
Good for one package of 8 sausages (I had a lot of leftover for 6 slim veggie dogs)

1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup cornmeal
2 Tbsp grainy mustard
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sugar
1 egg
1 Tbsp melted butter
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda

In a large bowl, stir together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center, and pour in the egg, butter, buttermilk, grainy mustard and baking soda. Mix until everything is smooth and well blended.

Dry the sausages well and put on a stick. Dip into the batter and fry until golden.

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

i want to go so bad!!!

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License