Monday, March 15, 2010

For the Love of Beets... again and again and again.



I remember that I was somewhat intrigued by beets when I was younger.
We did not really eat any at home, so I pretty much only saw them at Christmas. And I wasn't sure I liked them. I liked the colour though, they were just like jewels.

Some years ago, when I started my job, I thought I had found my soulmate. Tara, the girl I was replacing, was chomping on a big bowl of beets. Just plain beets. Yummers.

I love buying them in summer when they are all these beautiful colours, but I also like buying them at the grocery store... They are often local, and so cheap!

I love eating beets with goat cheese (mixed with lemon rind) or feta. Here is a simple vinaigrette that pairs so well...


Maple and apple cider dressing

1/2 cup canola oil or light tasting olive oil
1 Tbsp maple syrup
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 French shallot
Salt and pepper

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License