Monday, March 1, 2010

Curried Tofu Dumplings, Mint Yoghurt



This was a food filled weekend! Dinner with friends, cookies, yummy breakfasts, using up leftovers and preparing some dishes for busy nights ahead... I will soon post my shepherds pie and a lovely bone-in pork dish.

One thing that really obsesses me is waste. I can focus for hours on how to creatively use up leftovers - this weekend's obsession was tofu and dumpling wrappers. I didn't want to go for the same flavour profile as I did this week (Cilantro, Thai Basil, Lemongrass, Ginger...), instead, I went for curry, cumin, turmeric.

I used up all the dumpling wrappers and still had some leftover mixture - luckily, I also had some phyllo pastry in the freezer, so I did some phyllo triangles for a later snack.

Curried Tofu Mixture
can be used for samosas, phyllo purses or dumplings

1 cube tofu
1 large potato, cooked and cut into small dice
1 carrot, small dice
1 small onion, diced
3 cloves garlic
Large handfull of corn (I still had some frozen from the summer, yum!)
2 tsp cumin
1 1/2 tsp curry
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 Tbsp sambal

Chop up your veggies and work the tofu with your hands until it becomes as small as peas. Heat some oil in a shallow pan, add the cumin, sauté for a few minutes. Add the onion and carrot, cook for 3-4 minutes, onion should have color and carrot should be tender. Add all the other ingredients, mix well and saute from time to time. I like to let it rest for a minute at a time so that it gets crunchy.

Stuff the dumplings with the mixture and cook the way you prefer. Serve with yoghurt and mint, I prefer thick and high fat content yoghurts like Méditerranée & Organic Meadows.

3 comments:

Alana said...

I was just reading the Rachelle Eats Food blog.....will you be posting your stuffed tofu and peanut sauce recipe? It sounded delicious.....

Marysol said...

Alana, I may post it later this week! I have a friend coming over and she loved peanut sauce... I will post it this weekend for sure even if I do not redo it.

It was delicious. mmmmmmmm.

Alana said...

Thanks, I was looking for something that will satisfy my Vegetarian and Carnivore friends...this will certainly do the trick!

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License