Monday, March 22, 2010

Chewy Carob Granola Bars




It is so hard for us not to eat all of these...
We discovered that we both really like carob. I used to eat it by the handful when I was a teenager, better than chocolate.

These bars are so delicious.
I started with a recipe from Smitten Kitchen, and omitted fruit, added grains, added carob, maple syrup... It is probably a far cousin of the Smitten bar, but I am positive hers taste as amazing.

I cut them, then let them cool and dry out a bit. We wanted to eat them so fast, they were a bit too tender. A day later, they are perfect.

The ingredients I got at Sol, a natural food store next to my house- it is perfect as you can buy most ingredients in bulk. I also bought goodies to make granola (a post to come soon...) If you ever come to Aylmer, you should stop by this place... all is so inexpensive. The grand total for all my nuts, grains, oats + organic yoghurt and preserves was under $20.



I found golden flax seeds, I was so excited.

Chewy Granola Bars

1 2/3 cups quick rolled oats
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup oat flour (or 1/3 cup oats, processed till finely ground in a food processor or blender)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/4 cup carob chips
1/3 cup peanut butter or another nut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 tablespoons melted butter
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup golden flax seed
1/4 cup sesame seed

Preheat the oven 325F. Line a 8x8x2 baking dish with parchment paper.

Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mix the wet ingredients in a medium bowl and combine with the dry. Spread in the baking dish, pressing down for the mixture to spread evenly. Bake for 30-40 minutes, the sides should become golden. Let cool, cut into bars. Let dry for a few hours and then wrap individually.

10 comments:

Rachelle said...

I love carob! I make a good carob chip cookie.

Marysol said...

Yummy! We should make a cookie exchange!!! Maybe have a few people in, each makes dough that can be frozen and we trade.

I would love to open the freezer and pick not only from different kinds of cookies, but also to think of someone as I am baking them.

What do you think? We are crazy to add more projects to our lives...

Rachelle said...

yeah tell me about it!! i'm still thinking about what i'm going to make you for dinner! haha

it does sound like a good idea though! Only one problem, i don't think mine can be frozen, it's pretty wet (I use pumpkin instead of butter).

Hey congratulations on your nomination for the kreativ blog award (see foodieprints web site)!

Don said...

Well, Rachelle beat me to it, but we at foodiePrints would like to pass on an award for your great blog.
http://www.foodieprints.com/item/2341

I have been enjoying your posts, taking notes, and smiling :)

jennchic said...

I can't wait to try this! Thanks so much for posting it. I checked out the Smitten Kitchen recipe, too, which was super helpful. I think my bars will be full of chocolate chips, hemp seeds and coconuts. Yum! Will post the results here www.jennchiccooks.com

Marysol said...

Well, hi Jenn! Nice to meet you and I look forward to reading your blog!

Healthy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
healthycoconut said...

would love to try making these, but I will use coconut butter and shredded coconut.

I made Granola Almond Nut bars recently and I like trying out different combo of flavors.

Thanks for the recipe

Healthy Mamma said...

What a great idea, using carob in place of chocolate. Thanks for the creative spark!

ezsrecipes.com said...

These look very delicious. I came to your blog from Foodbuzz. I love your blog's name, it's very clever! Nice to meet you!

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License