Thursday, February 25, 2010

Rachelle's Spelt Apple Crisp



Last night I had 2 lovely ladies over for dinner, my amazing artist friend Amy and the ever so talented, food-blogger extraordinaire, Rachelle.

I may post some recipes from the meal later on this week - I have to admit that I did not take any pictures, which was really relaxing for me! Rachelle though, did take some, click to see (and discover her blog!)

The girls brought some Prosecco (because I just cannot hide that I find it the best drink in the world!!) and a lovely white wine that I recently discovered at a wine fair. Also handed to me as they arrived was a wonderful apple crisp and some of Pascale's ice cream.

I am quite lucky as I have no allergies, no food sensitivities... But when I am around some who do, I love the challenge and the opportunity to discover new ways of cooking. Rachelle's crisp had no trace of gluten, the crust was made of spelt flour + spelt flakes. Maybe she'll give us the recipe...

It was delicious...and Simon & I had some for breakfast!

8 comments:

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

Ooh so excited to try this. I just got Sophie Dahl's cookbook over the weekend and she swears by spelt flour. This looks great!

Marysol said...

I hope you post the results!!!

Rachelle said...

Ohhh i'm so glad you enjoyed it!! Love the photo!

So here's the recipe:

Cut up 6 apples and mix them with 2tbs of a yummy local maple syrup, 2tsp cinnamon, 1/2tsp of both cloves and nutmeg, 1tbs lemon juice. Place the apples in a 9" square baking dish and add a bit of water, about 1/4 cup.

Then mix together 1 1/2 cups of spelt oats (if you can find the really big ones get those), 1/3 cup of spelt flour and 1/2 cup brown sugar (a yummy damp molasses smelling one is the best kind, you can get it at Herb and Spice, it looks like copper cristals) and 1/2tsp salt. Then mix in 1/4 cup of maple syrup and 1/3 cup of butter, melted.

Put the crisp on top of the apples and bake at 375 for 35 minutes.

pinkghost said...

p.s. spelt (and kamut) is actually not gluten free! its a form of wheat, i believe its just not as processed as regular flour so a lot easier for sensitive stomachs to take! : ) but i'm so glad to get the recipe!!!!

Marysol said...

Amy, I didn't know!!!

There is an awesome spelt bread at the bakery next to my house and when I buy it, they ask if I have a gluten-free diet (because who else would buy that?? Ha ha!!)

Asha said...

Sounds like a fun evening ... and a delicious one too!

Marysol said...

Isn't it always fun to be with people who love to eat!!? I wish my life would permit me to entertain every single night of the week...

Ces said...

Thanks for sharing your recipe. I prepared it yesterday and my family loved it. We don't have Pascale's ice cream in our area so I have to resort to an alternative, a Selecta double dutch and it surely complemented the taste.

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License