Thursday, February 11, 2010

New York City Food - a detour to Brooklyn

We decided to spend a day in Brooklyn.
I have to start by admitting that I am a stubborn and sometimes foolish girl: even though it was really cold that day, and that we had a long walk ahead of us, I wore heels and a dress. Don't do that.



I look happy in this little strip don't I? That it because I had only walked about 45 minutes in my day. (FYI I am so stubborn that I wore heels most of the trip, and we never took the subway.)

I didn't quite know what to expect in Brooklyn. I had one must: the Mast Brothers Chocolate. I am not a big chocolate fan, I will have a sweet/sour dessert before chocolate on most days - but this shop was so dreamy.



There were huge cocoa pods on the window sills. The atmosphere was so inviting. The chocolate bars were displayed as jewels. The packaging simply beautiful.



We walked down the streets and there was so much to see. Once you get past the old abandoned factories, Brooklyn is a jewel. Bistros everywhere, coffeeshops, thrift shops, vintage clothing, lots of music shops... We went in and out of the tiny shops for a few hours. If only it had been summer - after this, our only wish was to find a warm spot for comfort food.

We found the BlackBird Parlour. Exactly what we wanted.
We each got a local beer, both were bubbly and refreshing.
I had a very scrumptious mac and cheese with caramelized onions and sundried tomatoes:



The arugula salad had a lemony vinaigrette that was perfect.

Simon had a grilled cheese with prosciutto and caramelized onions. Yum.



The menu was short, but all sounded appetizing, the atmosphere was great. Prices very fair. Then we went back into the cold, hopped in a cab for a show... and that was Brooklyn. Too short, we will visit you again.

4 comments:

Rachelle said...

I need that mac and cheese, now!

Heather said...

Yum! That chocolate shop looks amazing! Did you by any chance come across the Bedford Cheese Shop in Brooklyn? I know one of the owners...I should have told you about it!

Marysol said...

Oh Rchelle, it was sooo good. Especially when you feel exactly like eating that!

Marysol said...

Shucks for the cheese shop! We saw some, but we knew we couldn't keep any products with us (2 concerts that evening and no fridge in the hotel...)

For the next visit!!

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License