Monday, February 1, 2010

Caramelized Shallot, Lemon & Thyme Chicken Thighs



Our friend JP said that chicken thighs are the 'in' thing.
I had never bought them because I am so stubborn and would rather buy a whole chicken and cut it up myself... but I gave in. Cute little pieces of chicken, ready to go. And they were so tasty.

Merci JP!

For a dinner and leftovers...

8 chicken thighs
4 shallots, sliced
1 lemon, sliced
2 sprigs thyme, broken into pieces
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
about 10-12 potatoes, sliced in half
olive oil, 1 Tbsp butter, salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 400F.
I started by searing the thighs in olive oil on high heat with salt and pepper.
I put them aside in a baking dish.
In the same oil, saute the shallots until tender. Add the sliced lemon on top. Cook until golden brown. Set aside with the chicken.
Add the butter to the pan along with the thyme. Add the potatoes and sauté for 2 minutes, add the garlic, saute for 2 minutes more until golden brown.
Add the the chicken and send in the oven for 20 minutes until thighs and potatoes are cooked through.

10 comments:

Larissa Beznaczuk-Smyrnew said...

I have recently re-fallen in love with chicken thighs...so tasty. The other white meat :)

Marysol said...

so if you eat it, it is good for me! Would dietitians recommend thighs? Is it lean enough?

It was nice seeing you tonight!!

Larissa Beznaczuk-Smyrnew said...

Of course I eat it! I eat everything...thighs are actually high in iron and zinc in comparison to other poultry. I just made them last night, seared with paprika, salt, pepper, garlic, splash of white wine, San Marzano tomatoes...20 minutes voila! Oh, and some olives too. Served over Israeli couscous.

Nice to see you too! Hope you enjoyed your dinner.

Marysol said...

are san marzano better than other tomatoes?

oh my, why do we have these conversations over email?

i just always thought i was particular because i grabbed those before the no names. i have a hard time buying canned food, and then i think i am a snob for tomatoes. Help me Italian Expert!

Larissa Beznaczuk-Smyrnew said...

I will only buy San Marzano, everything else tastes like tin! Definitely worth the extra 2 dollars.

Marysol said...

we are official tomato snobs. i like it.

Larissa Beznaczuk-Smyrnew said...

Oh, don't even get me started on olive oil, olives and capers!

Eva said...

Salut,

I usually go straight to the boneless, skinless breasts, but this recipe will make me stop and check out the thighs next time I'm shopping! Thanks for sharing!

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

I just gave into the hype over chicken thighs as well. And I hate to admit it - they're delicious! I justify the higher fat/oil content by removing the skin (they still stay really moist and juicy.) Gorgeous post and blog!

Jannett said...

Love your blog....lots of great recipe ideas... :)

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License