Monday, January 25, 2010

Sichuan Pepper Shrimp



I have very fond memories of shrimp.
I remember being little and my father showing me how to devein them. So odd how people are scared to buy these whole and perform that little operation...
If you are buying whole shrimp, you will need to cut 'the whiskers', then snip off the mohawk, and finally, make a long slit down the back to expose the black canal and gently pull it out. Here it is, say hi!



I tossed the shrimp in very hot oil with lots of Sichuan pepper, salt and, once taken off the heat, some lime juice. Sichuan pepper is expensive but sooooo worth it, it leaves a nice tingly feeling on your tongue. I bought mine through Epices de Cru.



When Simon is out, I jump on the occasion to make myself some food that leaves him somewhat indifferent. My solo dinner:



Steamed broccoli, edamame, roasted kale, roasted kohlrabi with sesame oil, fried tofu with garlic&palm sugar&chili, Sichuan pepper shrimp, roasted chestnuts, rice...

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License