Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Shredded Beef Tacos




I love tacos sooooo much.
If I ever get married, it is my dream to have a taco stand in a field to feed all my friends. Hopefully there will be some tamales too... I discovered those in Mexico and have been craving them since, I will soon try to make some.

To prepare the tacos, I had to use my trusty pressure cooker.
I stared at it as it hissed, it still scares me. But it is ever practical!!!

It cooked half a beef roast in about 40 minutes. It was pull apart tender. Incredible. The pressure cooker has become my new best friend. The difference between 'real beef' and ground beef was amazing, major upgrade.


For the beef:

Sear the roast in the pressure cooker. Then add your seasonings:
2 Tbsp Spanish Paprika
1 Tbsp granulated garlic
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp chili (or any dried peppers - I had huge ones that I bought in a Mexican store in Mtl but forgot the name...)
1 1/2 cups beefstock
1 tsp tomato paste ( I freeze it in handy portions...)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 bird's eye chili, chopped (you could use more authentic chilies, this is all I had)

Close the pressure cooker and let it go for about 40 minutes, the meat should be tender and tasty when you open it! Once the pressure is released and that you can open the cooker, put it back on the stove and cook down the sauce. This sauce was pretty spicy, if you like it less spicy, hold back on the spices in the cooker and adjust as you are reducing the sauce.

I use Philippe de Vienne spices, they are really tasty. It is worth it to invest in good spices.
These can be purchased online (email me if you want to buy some, I will get some more, ha ha!)
or in some stores around the city (I know La Brulerie in Hull had them), or, go to the Jean Talon market in Montreal.

It is also very much worth it to take the time to roast whole spices and then grind them. I always do it for cumin.

We served the tacos with sauteed onions and peppers, shredded lettuce, scallion, cilantro, sour cream, 5 year old cheddar.

5 comments:

Alana said...

I love Tacos too, these look delicious, i may invest in a (scarey) pressure cooker now.....love your blog.

Marysol said...

Good luck with the pressure cooker! Mine is a Lagostina, and it is reviewed quite well, not too expensive either.

Thanks Alana!!

Bucks said...

We have just purchased a pressure cooker so I thought I would give this ago, and seeing as our tacos in the past were just minced beef including packet mix sauce, but after trying this there will be no more minced beef in our tacos, best EVER tacos,

And by the way I now have a new best friend I call him
P. Cooker.

Bucks said...

This is great thanks very much, we have been trying to find a good recipe for using shreaded meat in Tacos, in the past we just used mince, but this has changed the way we eat Tacos and they are now a family favourite.

Jennifer Restivo said...

Just made this recipe (we ate it on Nachos) - it was very good - I made a few additions on the spices (and omitted the really spicy peppers) and it was great!
Thanks!

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License