Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Minestrone



In his last post, Ron Eade used the words 'comforting leftovers'.
This soup is exactly it. A kinda-sorta minestrone perfect for chilly days...

It seems too that we shop at the same place... Mid East Food Center is heaven for beans, nuts and dried fruit. And garlic spread. And olives. And fresh dates. And oh my does it always cost me a fortune when I go there...

Simon could eat this every day of the week for his lunch.
I have major issues eating the same two days in a row.
So, to please my man, I do a huge batch of this soup and freeze it in handy portions.
You can use only vegetable broth to make this veggie.

One major yum factor for this is the parmesan rind. I keep all my leftover rinds in a resealable bag in the freezer.
I vary this soup depending on what I have in the fridge or pantry...
Rachelle, we can wing it when it comes to soup, eh?

Two yellow onions (or 1 large spanish onion)
6 oz striploin, cut into tiny cubes
1 Tbsp dried Italian herbs
1 carrot, cubed
1 parsnip, cubed
2 medium sized potatoes, cubed
6 cloves garlic, sliced
2 shallots, minced
1 bird's eye chili, minced (or more if you like heat, we do!)
1 can diced tomatoes
8 cups beef broth
2 cups vegetable broth
1 parmesan rind
2 handful dried beans (or you can use one can of mixed beans, jumbo ones are great)
-mine was a mix of jumbo beans, cooked in advance, a 'regular' mix + yellow & green split peas
1/4 cup barley (or quinoa or both!)
1 handful noodles (I had tiny bows)
greens to finish the soup (i had swiss chard, but I also use fresh herbs in summer)

Cook the onions, with the beef in a bit of oil, until onions are translucent. Add the dried herbs and shallot, cook for a few minutes more. Add the carrot, parsnip and potato, cook for a few minutes. Add canned tomatoes, broths & dried beans and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Throw in the parmesan rind. Test the beans for doneness - it may take more time. (Cut the time by using canned beans altogether... Small beans and split peas do not take a lot of time though...). When done, add the pasta, cook for a few minutes, add the cooked beans and heat through. Add the greens right before serving.

If you don't have chilies, you can use chili-garlic sauce or Siracha for a touch of heat.
I like to have celery in my soup too, we just didn't have any on hand...

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

haha! so i'm learning!

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License