Saturday, January 9, 2010

Cheddar Bacon Risotto



For the first time ever, i did a risotto without measuring.
I've always been concerned about getting the 'proportions' right...

Last night, we come home a bit late, going out for a beer at the neighbourhood bar.
L'autre Oeil has the best beer selection in the region (even beating Pub Italia!!), it is so cozy and has great nachos. (We often try nachos when we go out for a beer - the worst? The Woods. Worst ever.)

Anywhoo... I craved junk food. I wanted poutine. I wanted gooey macaroni.
We did with what we had, no noodles but risotto.
Simon had bought a crazy 5 year old cheddar, so we put a bit of that in. Smoked bacon. Parmesan. Shallots. Wine. What was left of vegetable and chicken stock. White wine.
It totally satisfied my craving.

We had it with this wine:



I don't often post what we drink (maybe I should!), but this one is worth sharing.
I went to an SAQ near our house, and the person giving me suggestions probably thought I was an 18 year old who never drinks and suggested a bunch of bad wines - this is the one I got when he turned away... It was delicious.

3 comments:

Larissa Beznaczuk-Smyrnew said...

I know how you feel with the wine situation, it happens to me so often...nice choice and yummy sounding risotto!

Marysol said...

we should swap wine favourites!!!

Larissa said...

I agree! I like to head over the SAQ once a month to stock up there, I prefer their selection to the LCBO. That is what I miss about Montreal, the Saq's :)

Love the new design!

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License