Monday, November 2, 2009

Pho



I love pho.
I know the take out number by heart.
It is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of take out. (Although I wish I could afford take out sushi all the time...)

Tonight, I made some at home.
We were set out to make Pad Thai and discovered that we were out of tamarind... We weren't disappointed for long.

We had no meat, so I roasted some chestnuts and tofu.
I am very fond of tofu. I am very fond of veggies, and nuts, and fruit and I just can't understand why I am not vegetarian. I guess I love food, no discrimination.

My Pho

2 Tbsp whole coriander seeds
4 whole cloves
2 whole star anise
2 litres chicken stock (or vegetable)
1 3-inch chunk of ginger, sliced and smashed with side of knife
1 to 2 Tbsp sugar (I used palm sugar)
1 to 2 Tbsp fish sauce
3 cloves garlic, smashed with the back of a knife
1.5 inch piece of lemongrass, bruised
2 french shallots, sliced fine

for garnish: noodles (we had fresh egg noodles), roasted chestnuts, roasted tofu (I smothered mine in soy sauce, bird's eye chili and garlic, cooked it at 400 for 20 minutes), bean sprouts, sliced green onions, lime wedges, siracha sauce, thai basil.

-Roast the cloves, star anise and coriander in a small pan until fragrant. Add to the stock and set to simmer. Add the lemongrass, garlic and ginger. Simmer for 20 minutes. Add sugar, fish sauce, shallots - adjust seasoning to taste. Enjoy with garnishes!!

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

oh my god I love pho too! i'm so going to try this!

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License