Monday, November 2, 2009

lentils



We don't eat lentils much so I thought I would make an effort this month.
I often incorporate red lentils in soups, I like them even when they are mushy, a bit shy to admit.

But as a side, I like them firm.
We ate them last night with some butterflied pork chops & root veg.

The chops I seared, then cooked with shallots, smashed garlic, rosemary. Put those in the oven, deglazed the pan with white wine, reduced, and added some butter.



For the root veg, I started off by pan roasting some sliced onions, then added these to a mix of baby potatoes, butternut squash, tiny carrots and beets.



I love beets. I love peeling beets. See. No gloves, I still have red hands this morning.



The lentils were great. Well, I love anything with bacon... Proof? I ate the leftover for breakfast.

Puy lentils with bacon, leeks and carrots

1 cup Puy lentils, rinsed
3 cups water

3 slices smoked bacon, sliced
1 leek, sliced
2 small carrots, cubed
2 cloves garlic, rough chop
1/4 cup white wine
1/4 cup chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste

Cook the sliced bacon for about 6-7 minutes on medium heat. Add the leeks and cook until just beginning to soften. Add the carrot and garlic, cook until leeks are tender. Set aside - do not rinse out the pot! Put the rinsed lentils into pot, add just about 3 cups of water - set on medium heat for a soft boil. Cook until al dente, remove and rinse. Put back in your pot, add wine and chicken stock, cook for about 5 minutes. Add bacon-leek mixture when liquid is almost all absorbed. Serve warm.

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License