Sunday, November 8, 2009

beef roast



Hey kids, I finally went to the grocery store! I think it has been 3 weeks since I actually took a big shopping cart to go around a store... Yay! I made time and forced Simon to come with me.

I usually stay away from meat at the grocery store, even more from meat that is on sale, but I couldn't resist this huge chunk of beef today.
The roast was so big that we cut it in half and saved for a next time.

We started dinner with arugula from our CSA fall share. always yummy.



Then, rich, satisfying, meat.




For one small roast

8 cloves garlic
4 shallots
1/2 cup red wine
3 cups beef stock
1 long sprig rosemary
2 sprigs thyme
5 small carrots
a dozen fingerling potatoes
1 big parsnip
half a rutabaga
pepper

Sear the beef in a pan or creuset style pot. (I have major hesitation using the creuset cocotte on my glass-ceramic stove top... I need to read up a bit more on that.) Remove to a plate. Add the garlic cloves, smashed, turn around in the pot a bit, then deglaze with the red wine. Add the shallots, let reduce. Add the roast back in, or transfer it all to an oven safe dish of not using a cocotte. Pour in the stock, add the herbs and pepper to taste. Cook for at least 2.5 hours at 300F. (I think mine cooked for 3.5 hours) Add the veggies in order of cooking time - I like to add my carrots before all the rest as it gives a nice flavor. Then potatoes, then parsnips and rutabaga.

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License