Monday, October 12, 2009

sour cream apple crumble pie



Sour cream in a pie, odd you think?

I was about 19 when i first did this pie.
I worked in a summer kitchen and then thought I would go back to school in the Fall - then the pastry chef retired, then they offered me good money to replace her, then I didn't go back to school.

This recipe was the owner's grandmother's.
We had it on the menu regularly, it was one of the most popular amongst the regulars, once you taste it, you crave it.

So every Fall I do it at home, at least once.
You can also do it with pears or peaches, then I just add a bit of almond paste or almond extract to the sour cream mixture.
You could also go nuts: pecans, hazelnuts are nice in the crumble.

I like a pâte brisée pastry as the base.



Pâte brisée

2 1/2 cups flour
pinch of salt
pinch of sugar (if you wish, i like it)
1 cup very cold butter, cubed
1 1/3 cup very cold (icy!) water

Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl, then incorporate the cold butter with a pastry cutter and the help of a knife. It should resemble coarse meal, little peas of butter lost in a sea of flour. Then sprinkle the cold water over the dough and gently mix with your hands - judge how much you need as you go, you will probably need less. It should just hold together and not be sticky. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.



The Pie!
1x9inch springform pan or deep dish pie pan

8-9 apples (I like Empire, but any baking apple is fine. I had Cortland today...)
1 cup sour cream
1 cup sugar
3 Tbsp flour
1 egg

Roll out your dough and fit the pie pan (or pans! I did minis).
Then mix the sour cream with the egg, add the sugar and flour mixing well. Set aside.
Peel and cut the apples into slices. Mix with the sour cream mixture and arrange in the pie dish. Cook at 375 for about 25 minutes. The top should start to brown just a tiny bit. Take out of the oven and add the crubble topping, cook for another 15 minutes at 350. Crumble should be golden as well as the edges of the pie.

I don't really have a recipe for crumble, I usually just eye it.
I put equal parts of flour and oats, add about half of brown sugar and then put in just enough soft butter to bind it.

3 comments:

tastestopping said...

I wish I were having this for breakfast! It looks delicious. In college, I had a roommate who used to place dollops of sour cream on top of her apple pies before baking them, so the idea doesn't sound strange to me at all. Let me ask you, if I want to make minis, can I use ramekins? (Don't have any mini pie shells...) Thanks for the recipe. I'll be trying it soon.

Anyway, I found you through TasteSpotting and am writing to say that if you have any photos that aren’t accepted there, I’d love to publish them. Visit my new site (below), it’s a lot of fun! I hope you will consider it.

Best,
Casey
Editor
www.tastestopping.wordpress.com

Marysol said...

i will be having it for breakfast :)

You may use ramekins to do minis... if you have a pie dough that is buttery enough. Mine were easy to get out of the small tart pans, so given the roundness of the ramekins, it should be even easier.

I will definitely stop by tastestopping!

tastestopping said...

Thanks! I can't wait to try it (and to hear and see from you at TasteStopping!) :D

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License