Friday, October 9, 2009

homemade pizza

This is one of Simon's favourite treats, homemade pizza.
He has been working so hard lately, working after work, almost no sleep. I have great admiration.

I decide to try and copy a pizza that we love sold at the bakery near our house. It is vegetarian, but I always thought prosciutto would be nice on it, so that is what I did for us. In addition to that, I wanted a crunchy element, so I fried some shallots and put them on top.

I had no sauce.
I usually have tons of tomato sauce, but my freezer is so full that I skipped buying boxes of tomatoes this year... it is so tempting. I am so sad. I want another freezer.

making a sauce from scratch is easy and quick.
I like my pizza sauces slightly sweet and spicy.

For one pizza, you would need:
4 ripe tomatoes
1 tsp brown sugar
1 small chili, dried
salt and pepper


I started by making an X on top of the tomatoes



Then carving out the bottom.



Drop them in boiling water for about 90 second, have a slotted spoon close to fish them out.



Let them sit to cool down.



See how pretty and velvety they are!!

Then I cut them up into small pieces and cooked with a bit of salt, pepper, brown sugar and whatever chili I feel like. This chili was bought in a Mexican store in Montreal, but I forget the name! I like to leave a big piece to simmer in the sauce and then take it out.



Ta-da. Doesn't this look yummy?



The final toppings were prosciutto, spinach, dried cranberries, toasted walnuts, provolone, mozzarella, fried shallots.

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License