Sunday, October 18, 2009

comforting curry



Simon and I are just so busy lately and are soooooo scared of being sick.
That usually means garlic overload, veggies galore and a whole lotta spice!

I combined all possible 'kill it' ingredients:
garlic, ginger, chili peppers, lemongrass.

This resulted in some roasted Chinese greens and a curry.

The Greens



The greens are pretty easy. I usually sauté them but yesterday I was channeling Candice, the chef at work, and decided to roast them. She often speaks of kale and how she could eat it like chips when it is roasted.

1 great big bunch of greens (I think I did about 6 cups)
1 inch knob of ginger, finely diced
3 bulbs garlic, minced
zest of one lemon
2 Tbsp sesame oil
2 Tbsp canola oil

Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl and arrange on a parchment lined baking tray. Roast at 400F for about 10 minutes or until leaves are crispy.


The Curry



I don't have a curry recipe, I usually toss in whatever I have. My lime leaves I keep in the freezer, there are always so many in a bag and they keep really well. The sweet potato is optional, I love that it breaks down and adds thickness to the 'stew', but it is not the best presentation when you have guests - although I find it gives incredible taste and texture. You could add it later in the curry and the cubes would then keep their shape.

You can omit the chicken if you wish for a vegetarian version and use vegetable stock. You could use all pretty chicken breasts and cut them into cubes - but I love the look of fat rustic pieces of chicken. The best is to roast a chicken, use the bones and make a stock and use some of it in your curry...

2 chicken breasts
3 cups chicken stock (save 2 for the curry)
3 Tbsp chili garlic sauce

1 head garlic, minced
2 inch piece of ginger, minced
1 stalk lemongrass, tender part minced
2 Tbsp sesame oil
2 lime leaves
2 yellow onions, cubed
2 large sweet potatoes, cubed
1 package firm tofu (I am a softie for fried tofu, you will find these in the refrigerators, there are 4 cubes in a package...)
3 bird's eye chilies, seeds removed (or keep them if you wish for more heat)
2 Tbsp curry powder
1 mango, finely diced
2 sweet peppers (I had one yellow, one red)
1 bunch cilantro
1 can coconut cream

lime wedges and cilantro to serve.

In a preheated 400F oven, cook your chicken in 1 cup chicken stock and the chili garlic sauce. Once cooked, cool down and tear into pieces, set aside.

Fry the garlic, ginger, and lemongrass for a few minutes. Add the yellow onion and cook for 2 minutes more. Add the lime leaves, chilies, curry powder, sweet potato, cubed tofu and chicken - then add stock. let simmer for 25 minutes. Add the finely minced mango and peppers, cook for a bit more than 5 minutes (you don't want the peppers to get all mushy!!!), add the coconut milk and heat through. Just before serving, add some chopped cilantro. Serve with lime wedges and more cilantro.

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License