Wednesday, August 19, 2009

no waste

on sunday, it seemed like i was going away for a week, but it was just two days...
i raided the fridge for all the food that could waste and got into cooking mode.

i made a (very yellow) sauce with our garden tomatoes, garlic, onion, basil, parmesan rind, red pepper flakes, olive oil.


then, hopped on the peaches.
sadly, they were still hard (after 3-4 days) and starting to brown in some spots.
pie time.

i mixed in about 10 peaches with 1 litres of blueberries (that simon's mom picked herself), 2 Tbsp of brown sugar, 1 Tbsp of tapioca, 2 Tbsp butter.

I pretty much always have pie dough frozen in handy batches. I do a huge quantity at a time and freeze. I love doing the top crust all pretty, this was a really easy one - I remember copying that pattern from a Martha Stewart book years ago when I started working in pastry...

My evening was full of fun with corn (blanched, frozen!), broccoli (made into a salad with soaked raisins and red onion for Simon lunch) and strawberries (frozen for smoothies!).

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License