Sunday, August 23, 2009

arctic char

it had been awhile since i had had the chance to go at Byward Market...
we used to live so close that i went at least twice a week - i am not used to the weekend crowds anymore!!!

i love my little parkdale market.

but i do miss La Bottega.
it was full as always and the lineup for sandwiches was insane.
they just have the best service of all Nicastros... I know that they are not related, but someone who does not know would really question the difference in service and quality.

the one near my work is the worst. the service is extremely slow and indifferent. they have served me bad cheese and tried slipping me some very gooey meat.

the one on Bank i am unsure of. i've had a really good experience (I think the owner served me though...) and a really bad one (Simon was holding me back as I was really losing patience...)

anywhoo...

we had tomatoes (of course... i collected 3 litres of tiny ones yesterday morning!!!) with buffalo mozzarella, drizzled with olive oil, basil, garlic, black olives, capers. more of that lovely salami and some prosciutto.


and we had some arctic char.
one thing i keep forgetting about the byward market is how shitty Lapointe is.
I got great service (this time, i would rate the service 4/10... they never seem to want to serve you and when they do, they question your quantities and want to sell you more), the young lad gave me the most beautiful piece of char.

when i took it out and looked closely though... it still had most of it's bones! For heaven's sake, if some people should be able to take a fish apart and clean it, it should be them.

anywhoo, see, i am getting impatient again.

it was delicious.


we coated it with coriander, cumin, black pepper, mustard seed, chili flakes.
served with a squirt of lime, limey yellow beans and a kohlrabi salad.

2 comments:

Rachelle said...

I can tell you, Nicastro's on bank sucks too. La Bottega is the only place to go. Best service by far. the last time i did the bank one i swore i'd never go again and will go out of my way to give my service to la bottega. it is confusing with the names, but they are not related at all. ryan and i had a big discussion about that one night.

kaitlin said...

It's funny. My landlord goes on about the Nicastro's on Merivale is so much less expensive and how dare we shop at either Nicastro's on Wellington or Bottega.

But, to be honest the quality is a lot better and really, I'm not going to get in my car and drive fifteen minutes through strip malls to get slightly cheaper meat.

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License