Thursday, May 29, 2008

tarte aux tomates

I think I did this tart for the first time about 10 years ago.

I remember applying for a job at this little hole in the woods...
It was far enough away from home, it took me a bit more than 1 hour to bike over.
When I got there for my interview, the chef was very surprised by my look; I didn't look a day past 16. It didn't match up with my experience.
She was very confused and admitted that she was just going to turn me down because I had too much experience for the job.

I begged for them to hire me.
I wanted to work in the country so bad, with nice produce that came from the field, not a truck.
So I had two jobs for awhile, working 7 days a week, city and country.
I did everything in this place - salty and sweets, breakfast, dinner, gardening, serving.
It closed down some years ago and when I saw the sign, my heart sunk.
I wanted to buy it so much...I was just short a couple hundred thousands!

I still do a lot of recipes from there. They served lovely salty tarts- mushroom, zucchini, tomato... They have lived on. A friend of mine has done this tomato tart in a restaurant where she worked too - it was a great hit. Her boss thought she was genius ;)

I did a tart this weekend for a meeting at work.
Bought nice heirloom tomatoes, fresh herbs, bread from art-is-in bakery.

So...
Blind bake a salty tart shell.

Then, you will need:
fresh basil, parsley, bread (i use multi-grain), olive oil, garlic.
Pulse in a blender until you have a thick paste.

Shred some cheese:
I use mozzarella and sometimes a bit of goat cheese.
(in the zucchini tart, I love gruyere)

Cut your tomatoes in thick slices.
I like to slow roast them before I assemble the tart. Tastier and a less soggy tart.

To assemble the tart:
Rub the tomatoes in the herb mixture and layer with the cheeses. Hop into the oven until golden brown.

Yum.

3 comments:

Roxstar said...

Where do you recommend shopping for fresh produce - I have never seen these heirloom tomatoes!

marysol said...

Roxanne!!! Va falloir se revoir.

J'avais acheté ces tomates dans une petite boutique sur le marché, ils ont des bons produits à la longueur de l'année. Près du Lapointe.

Chloe said...

Mais c est de moi que tu parles ...
Je t ai crédité pour cette tarte, et c est vrai que c est un succès monstre à tout coup..
Joli blog, comme j' aimerais avoir le temps de faire de si jolie présentations a la maison...

à dimanche xx
Chloé

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License