Sunday, March 9, 2008

recreating a sinful risotto...

A couple of night ago, we were lucky enough to eat at one of the region's best tables. We also had THE best table, it was the one and only window table.

Since we had a gift certificate (from the best bosses in the world!!!), we decided to splurge and give in to the tasting menu, with the wine pairings. The third course was unforgettable. Butter poached lobster on risotto. Last night, I attempted to recreate a part of it...


I am not a fan of risotto. It has always been too mushy for me. Or too cheesy. Or bland. I've tried it many, many times to better understand why this has been a trend in the past few years... And now, I had to face it and could not escape. I will fear no more!

So here is my attempt. It was close!

1 1
/2 cup Carnaroli rice
1 cup white wine
3 cups chicken stock (I mixed with a bit of vegetable stock), hot
2 shallots, minced
3 Tbsp parmesan
1/4 cup finely diced celery
salt and pepper to season
good quality white truffle oil

In a shallow pan, sweat the shallots in oil (I used grapeseed, a habit from my workplace). Add the rice and toast lightly. Add the wine, let evaporate. Add the stock in small batches and let the rice absorb each time. When almost all is absorbed, add the celery, cook for 3-4 minutes, then add the parmesan. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with the white truffle oil.

We ate the risotto with speck and Sauvagine cheese stuffed chicken, golden beets, king Erinji mushroom and roasted fennel. The wine was Parallèle 45, a French Bordeaux. Yum.






No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License